ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cause of Vista crashes

<< < (5/5)

Stoic Joker:
If you don't have any problems with your current WHQL Certified driver ... you don't need to update. Let the hard core gamer crowd play at the razor edge of frame rates and the like, I don't have time for that kind of silliness.

Lashiec:
I have had about 5 crashes on Vista since I got it. All related to ATI drivers. The drivers are good, but they update them so freaking much, and have this totally crap update system (word of mouth/luck). You never have the latest drivers!
-wreckedcarzz (March 31, 2008, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

The unwritten rule with Catalyst, and probably with most complex driver packages, is that once you find a release that looks stable, stick with it, unless the newer version addresses the problems of a certain game, improves general performance, or implements a nice new feature.

And since when does Catalyst have an update facility? :huh:

wreckedcarzz:
It doesn't have an updater - that was the point. You have to rely on someone to tell you, a program/game to require you to update, an updater to tell you (like the FileHippo Update Checker), or just check every couple weeks (my scenario). >:(

@Stoic Joker: I use this PC for gaming (~80% of the time) and the CPU is quite aged; I rely on the GPU to do most of the work during games. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version