ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Shopping for a DVD player

(1/2) > >>

moerl:
I'm trying to find a DVD player... and it's harder than I thought it would be. There are so many of them out there.. and I guess the reason it's a bit hard to find one for me is because I'm looking for a region-free DVD player so we can play our European DVDs as well as US ones, plus one that that has good picture and audio quality. We have an HD Sony TV and that's also a hurdle.. trying to find a player that will meet the above criteria and also go along nicely with our HDTV. There probably are differences between DVD players that aren't designed for use with HDTV's and those that are. That's what I'm trying to find.

Recommendations, links, suggestions, anything is welcome! Oh yeah.. price-wise, we'd like to stay under 200 dollars if possible, if not possible, I'm setting a max of $250.

Thanks

jpfx:
get the cheapest one you can find made in china.
they're virtually all region free and play well enough, but not so that having an HDTV will do you a scrap of good.
anyway at ~$30 it's no real loss.
I have a philips DP642 which has divx built in and that was about ~$60 and arguably a little more robust.
http://www.videohelp.com/ is the place to look for this sort of stuff.

mouser:
i would generally agree with jpfx, they are very cheap now, regularly < $70, and all seem to work quite well.
and you can throw it out in a year and buy another at that price.

in fact i have same exact model as jpfx, and it playes quite well.
however, one thing i dont like a lot is no controls on the machine itself to go back and forward chapters, etc.(!!)

my advice: go to this site: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
check some checkboxes for features you want, and then pick the one with best reviews < $100

moerl:
get the cheapest one you can find made in china.
they're virtually all region free and play well enough, but not so that having an HDTV will do you a scrap of good.
anyway at ~$30 it's no real loss.
I have a philips DP642 which has divx built in and that was about ~$60 and arguably a little more robust.
http://www.videohelp.com/ is the place to look for this sort of stuff.
-jpfx (October 21, 2005, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ironically, I had just registered at videohelp.com before posting this thread! I wanted to ask the same question there but then learned that you have to wait one day after registering before you can post.. so I thought of DonationCoder and came and asked here :)

moerl:
Wow.. this comes as quite a surprise, being that I planned on spending something close to 200 bucks on this thing, and more, if necessary, up to 250. I'm splitting the cost with my apartment mate so take any amount and halve it.. that's what I'll pay.

I looked at that search before but got lost in it.. it doesn't have a checkbox for "region free" so it's kind of useless to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version