ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Shopping for a DVD player

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
Sorry ignore - I misread your message and didn't realise you are in the US (I have deleted the message I typed)

I just looked at your TV spec - it doesn't mention PAL support at all ... If you haven't got a PAL compat TV you won't be able to watch European DVDs ...even with an MR DVD

MR still produces the original output it just removes region control.

Your right it isn't that easy to find multiregion stuff in the US market. Finding PAL support isn't always that easy, but I didn't realise HDTV would also cause a big issue (we haven't really discovered that in the UK yet - give us another 20 years!)

I would have say avoid the cheapest you can find and go for an established brand. I bought a cheap MR DVD from Logix ... who you might ask, but that's the point a lot of these companies don't exist for very long, and consequenly there is no support or firmware updates to deal with bugs. I have also found the video and sound quality are not too good in some of the cheap brands, and audio/video sync can be an issue. IMHO it is worth spending a few more $$$ to get something that works properly and has good video and sound quality.

Nighted:
Check out Audio Review for people that have bought and rated products. That's where I go before buying any new audio equipment or video for that matter.

It's an excellent site.

jpfx:
with a philips DP642, to change to region free:
switch on and open disc drawer
enter 7 8 9 OK 0

Plays PAL perfectly afterwards.

That's that, I believe the last 0 is the region. If you screw up your DVD it's not my fault.
More blurb here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Philips+DVP+642

Carol Haynes:
--- End quote ---

Only if your TV supports PAL

In Europe most TVs are dual format using PAL primarily, but supporting NTSC too.

Most US/Canada TVs only support NTSC. I presume the manufacturers assume that North America has the cheapest and best choice of DVDs and Videos so you don't need to buy European stuff ...

I know that's why I buy a lot of DVDs from the US !!

jpfx:
--- End quote ---

Only if your TV supports PAL
--- End quote ---

No.
One of the menu options is what sort of TV you have, if it's set for NTSC, then the picture the DVD player puts out is NTSC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version