ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Latest Jeff Atwood (Coding Horror) Column: UI-First Software Development

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
However, I do think something needs to be added.  Speaking as someone who has fallen into this trap before - it's important to realize that although "to the end user, the interface is the application", as a coder you should as much as possible separate the user interface from the guts of the application.-mouser
--- End quote ---
Amen! And this is an extremely important point. With the "RAD" (which really should be called RUID) tools like Delphi, BCB, VB etc. it's way too easy to intermingle your GUI and core logic, and this becomes really messy. Keep your "OnClick" (etc.) routines simple, calling into separate modules.

"Showing the life-looking prototype to the customer or managers can spell disaster. They will percieve "almost finished" application and you can't say or do anything to explain otherwise. The easiest way to avoid this is to have mockups that clearly don't look even close to the real thing."
--- End quote ---
Hm, hadn't considered that - interesting point.

tinjaw:
Hm, hadn't considered that - interesting point.
-f0dder (April 04, 2008, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I will gladly accept my consulting fee in donation credits.  :P

Renegade:
This is one of those things that Microsoft really "gets". The Expression series are ideal for this kind of thing.

Stoic Joker:
I'm going to add that I suggest using Mockup Screens for the same reason as the developer.

"2. Why does MockupScreens create sketches instead of "real" screens?

Showing the life-looking prototype to the customer or managers can spell disaster. They will percieve "almost finished" application and you can't say or do anything to explain otherwise. The easiest way to avoid this is to have mockups that clearly don't look even close to the real thing."-Mockup Screens - Frequently Asked Questions
--- End quote ---
-tinjaw (April 04, 2008, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've gotten burned on this one myself.  Just because it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, & quacks like a duck ... Doesn't mean it's a complete duck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version