ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

coding x86 assembler on a 64 bit machine??[coding on a x64]

<< < (4/4)

giddy:
wow! the madness never ends! There aren't any proper drivers for Win32 either! :mad: :mad: :mad: They flatly told me, the machine was "made for vista" and I should get vista! They released the laptop before releasing drivers for WindowsXP? All the drivers they've got are for Vista!

So I want to know how are people doing with Vista? Its been a long time since I whacked Vista Beta2 off my system, it was more or less a nightmarish experience!

Has compatibility got stability got better with Vista now, especially for programmer? I'm certainly going to have a performance hit right?

Thanks so much
Gideon

f0dder:
I guess Vista is OK by now, have been maintaining some laptops that came with it preinstalled... but I certainly prefer XP and will stick with it for as long as it's feasible.

Wrt. no XP drivers for your laptop, you should be able to find (a lot of) them if you track down the individual components and go to the manufacturer's sites... but it can be a damn lot of work.

giddy:
um, well, it came straight from the HP guys itself, the laptop is so new(manufactured in March) the hardware was made a month or so earlier, so they haven't bothered to write drivers for WinXP, the only actual drivers written are the ones on the websites and there are just 2-3 of them. The rest of the drivers just managed to work(By asking device manager to read the inf setup file). I chatted a second time with HP a techie and this guy said they'll release the drivers "soon". It seems the thing was "made for Vista"

But, I'm not to sure of the manufacturers to some of my hardware, is there a way I can find out, with some app? The full name and model of my Ethernet Controller! I've figured the names just from forums. It just shows as "Ethernet Controller" in Device manager.

Thanks so much
Gideon

giddy:
Thought It was what I needed:
http://www.d-a-l.com/hardware-scan.php

Good stuff, gives you all the info by running a standalone exe. But under network adapters it just gives me my Realtek LAN, my WLAN doesn't show!? Is there a better way to detect my hardware?

Thanks
Gideon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version