ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

coding x86 assembler on a 64 bit machine??[coding on a x64]

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
So there is definitely some in compatibility! Right now my compaq is so screwed up with the various audio drivers that the volume control shows up and songs play but with NO SOUND! even with full volume!
--- End quote ---
Hm, that could be because of a missing/wrong "HD Audio Bus" (or something  similar) device... I've had quite some trouble with that, but that goes for 32-bit Windows as well.

Ok, a little more off topic, i'm sorry, would Xp64 be able to get drivers for me online? If i connect?
--- End quote ---
Not very likely, no... only some drivers are managed by Microsoft this way.

With a laptop it might be quite a quest finding the right drivers, but imho it's worth it. In daily use you won't see much of a performance difference, neither positive nor negative. But XP64 lets you test both 32- and 64-bit code, which makes it easier to write portably. And if you need the speed the extra & wider registers offer you, 64-bit is nice (you can't access those from 32-bit code, even though your CPU is 64-bit).

Eóin:
Myself I use XP x64 even though I only have 2GBs of ram and 32bit would have worked fine. It runs absolutely rock solid stable for me, that could well be due to the 2k3 core but I wouldn't dream of switching back to 32bit XP.

If you just can't get the drivers then I appreciate that will force your hand, but if you want to play around with developing 64bit apps I say bite the bullet and waste two or three days more trying to get the drivers working. Assembly is great fun, I don't do enough (any?) of it myself any more but wouldn't dream of toying around in 32bits when there is the whole new 64bit world to explore.

giddy:
hi,
Thanks for the replies but alas, its been over 10 days since i got the thing and I haven't found half my drivers.So i'm going to go ol Win32 tonight.

I did have some problems win XP64, I put a DOS version of mario and it didn't work, there was also another game that mysteriously would never start, it should up in the TaskManager like this 'CakeMania.exe *32' and then poof! Disappear.
Yes the games were to pacify my sister since I was hogging my desktop trying to find drivers all day! I've literally been crippled. I got the sound to work but the mic stopped working, seems most of my hardware was manufactured only a few months ago so they haven't bothered to write drivers for Xp64!!

I think not many people care about XP64, HP has every x64 driver right on they're site for Vista64. So I'm guessing when I make the move to Vista I'll get Vista64. It was fun getting to know a little about x64, I guess WinXP64 its only good for the guys really interested in x64 Assembly Programming. I mean, with Visual Studio I can still build a x64 app, i only won't be able to run it!

Thanks so much :)
Gideon

f0dder:
Well, 16-bit programs don't work on x64 at all - it would require full CPU emulation to do so. For DOS games, google for 'dosbox'.

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble!

giddy:
lol! never thought it was 16-bit geesh! Thanks :up: Makes more sense now. Guess I'll have to keep that in mind for Vista64! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version