ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

coding x86 assembler on a 64 bit machine??[coding on a x64]

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
Technically x64 apps should run faster. I remember early on the x64 versions of 7-zip were slower than the 32bit ones. Now though v4.57 benchmarks itself about 25% when 64bit version on XP x64 against the 32 bit version on regular XP Pro SP2.

That is only one small test but I guess I'm pointing out that the rule of thumb I see thrown around (not necessarily here) suggesting only go for an x64 OS if you need 4+ GBs of ram is not the whole story.

As for drivers, I've never had a problem but I run it on a desktop not a laptop.

giddy:
hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did notice everyone just mention the RAM access bit, but I've also heard around places that WinXP x64 is slower?? However, I know that part of its base code is Win Server 2003? So it should be stabler right?

I own a Compaq C772tu and the hp website hardly has most of the drivers, its so silly that they can't give it on disk.

Back to the part about the performance, what you say does make sense, x64 should end up crunching bits in half the time right? Or I've heard places that only a 64 bit app would run faster?? Could you give me more details on the performance, is it worth it? I also have 2 GB Ram and a Intel Dual Core processor.

Thanks so much
Gideon

f0dder:
XP64 is based on win2k3 server, yes.

Some things can wind up a bit slower - for instance, foxit reader renders a lot slower on XP64 than XP32, for some weird reason (GDI+ problem?). Native x64 applications can run faster, but don't necessarily; depends on whether they can make use of the extra & wider registers. Memory footprint of applications can grow somewhat, but it generally isn't very much.

As things are now, 64-bit windows is a bit more resistant against some types of malware.

Basically, I started running XP64 because I didn't need XP32... after getting a new box with 8 gigabytes of memory, I run XP64 because I need it :)

As for drivers, you might not be able to find it from your laptop vendor, so you need to figure out what hardware you have, and grab drivers from the individual sites of the producers.

kartal:
You might hit printer drivers issue if you have a canon. I use xp64bit and generally all my applications and hardware seems to work (except my canon printer). I use pdf printing server on my other laptop to print from my 64bit

giddy:
So there is definitely some in compatibility! Right now my compaq is so screwed up with the various audio drivers that the volume control shows up and songs play but with NO SOUND! even with full volume!   

Ok, a little more off topic, i'm sorry, would Xp64 be able to get drivers for me online? If i connect?

I did try a whole LOAD of places, and spent about 7 hours today scouring for an audio driver and touchpad driver(for the scroll line thingy) and a way to test my webcam? I have the infamous Conexant SmartAudio 221 card, and someone quite knowledgeable on the hp drivers forum said the card is so new they've probably not coded an x64 driver?

My question earlier was basically, will it be worth the effort running x64? Will the speed difference be large?(Win32 vs Win64) Will i have any other advantage programming? My little sister barely understands anything about this but she whacked my head when she found out that I've spent all day trying to get drivers when I have all drivers for win32!  :(

Should i go on, on my conquest for the right drivers or should I just install Win32? I'm only afraid when the x64 drivers do come in, my x86 system will be all set and it'll be difficult to revert to x64, so i have to make a decision now!

Please help! :(
Thanks so much
Gideon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version