ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Creative Labs

<< < (3/4) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I think that there are two problems going on at the same time, and it's clouding the issue. On the issue of IP rights, I don't think that there's any question that Creative has the law on their side.

As a separate issue, if I understand correctly, Creative has sold to people sound cards that are promised to have certain features. These operate OK in XP, but are locked out when the customers upgrade to Vista. Depending on the nature of the advertising that promised those features, the affected customers may have legitimate complaint about fraud on Creative's part.

The fact that Creative (may have) committed fraud does not invalidate their IP rights.

On the other hand, legalities and ethics are two different things. Creative seems to be within their legal rights, but (again, AIUI) their behavior seems strongly unethical. This is ample reason to refuse to use their products. But it's not going to keep the guy who modded the drivers out of court.

f0dder:
Creative have always been bastards - dropping support for "old" products very early, bankrupting Aureal3D (who had a product superior to botchy EAX), not providing proper drivers, et cetera.

ChalkTrauma:
Are they any better, and is it a separate company? I know they use creative hardware parts...
-f0dder (April 01, 2008, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have had much better luck with the Auzentech's stuff, but then again it was Creative's drivers/software I always had a problem with; the hardware never failed on me outright. So if Auzentech buys parts and writes decent drivers/software, that works for me.. I believe they are a separate company..

f0dder:
As long as they're as separate company and write their own drivers :Thmbsup:

Lashiec:
Semi-fixed, although the damage has been inflicted already, with people tearing apart his/her X-Fi and everything.

Add to that the release of the new Asus Xonar DX sound card, that emulates EAX5 (don't know how true is to the source, though, reviews are forthcoming), and I say Creative is in a pretty bad shape regarding it sound card business. And they're not doing much better in their other fields of expertise. Bad karma I guess, considering their history.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version