ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

are email clients sofware a dead industry ?

<< < (3/5) > >>

kartal:
I use pop peeper for checking my emails
launchy for sending quick emails
thunderbird for downloading my all emails and sending-replying to serious emails (things like business)

I am old schooler I guess, the bigger gmail or yahoo mail becomes the more I go the otherway. I also have serious concerns about privacy policies of those companies. There are some very vague lines in their privacy statements. And remember "nothing" is free even thou you think you are getting it for free.

tamasd:
Well....GMail is great product.

But I still use offline email client - it's substantially quicker to switch mailboxes, and somewhat quicker to display a message. The spam filtering works my way, not the Google way, and I trust my antispam so much that I don't check Junk folder anymore. Unlike Gmail, with GMail I always have  good messages end up as spam. Some of them come from Google, go figure (Google Alerts service, Google Groups administrator notifications).
Not having to check Junk folder saves me significant amounts of time, quicker email and folder loading saves some as well.
And then the other obvious reasons, but the above pretty much sums up the top ones in my book.

allen:
There are some very vague lines in their privacy statements. And remember "nothing" is free even thou you think you are getting it for free.
-kartal (March 29, 2008, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is absolutely true. I am fortunate in that I have always been immune to the privacy hysteria/paranoia, make no illusions as to my privacy (or lack thereof); online or otherwise, none of us are "off the grid" now, are we?  Frankly, I feel my data is more secure with google long term than the minutes (or hours or days) it might spend with my isp were I using ISP mail -- but at the end of the day, yeah. Realistically, nothing is private that leaves your head.  So long as nothing leaves my head that'll get me killed, I figure I'm doing ok.

kartal:
Right for privacy is not a matter of paranoia, it is a very basic human right. And anyone who does not ask for it will never get it in modern societies. In that context I demand for my own privacy and rights. I am not paranoid I understand technology and what can be done with it. My pretext is that privacy is like many other rights is matter of respect and a matter basic rights. Because we have already lost does not mean that I should give up demanding and keep myself uninformed about the consequences of loss of such rights.

Eóin:
Well I must say after much searching and trying numerous client, web-based and desktop apps I gave ThatBat! it's thirty day trial from all the positive comment here and then bought it and am a very happy customer. Thank you donationcoder for the reviews :Thmbsup:

That said going back to the point of the thread; Thunderbird is a excellent client, and if you are on Linux then so is evolution so the desktop client market is a hard one to compete in. The webbased market is even more difficult thanks to Gmail being a genuinely superior product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version