ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

mp3 Audio OUTPUT volume normalizer? Any such thing?

<< < (6/7) > >>

bassclarinetl2:
You may also use a dps plugin in winamp.

For years I have used Compressor and Wider available at the following URL

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/104516

Unlike normalizers, such as the gain options listed above, the compressor will adjust the volume throughout each individual song so the music is always at approximately the same volume.
-the3seashells (March 29, 2008, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Winamp itself will handle replaygain.

FYI: ReplayGain is just another component of the ID3 Tag.  So it doesn't modify the actual sound data.

phillfri:
I've used the TomSteady plugin with Winamp for years and it works like a charm. It levels the volume on the fly and doesn't require any pre-processing on the files themselves. It hasn't been updated for quite awhile, but there's no need as long as it continues working with new release of Winamp. There's even a volume boost option on it for those low powered laptops that often push out a low signal.

mikiem:
If it helps at all -- adds anything to the discussion...

While there is no way to alter a music file itself without re-writing that file, re-encoding mp3s isn't as lossy as one might expect -- as with video, compressing the data to fit in a smaller file usually discards data, but once that weeding out of data has been done, it normally won't be done a second time during re-encoding. Yes, there will be some loss, but nothing comparable to the initial loss encoding to mp3 in the first place.

RE: Normalization... It can be a bit more than just turning up the volume, which is what a lot of plugins do. Soundforge has a decent example in their RMS Normalization effect. Whether it's worth even the effort of investigating is of course up to you -- as with TVs or PC monitors, everyone has their own levels of tolerance.  :P

GHammer:
mp3gain itself does not write tags, the Windows GUI for it does that.
You can and should turn that 'feature' off as it uses an non-standard tag (APE) to hold the info. Those tags cause problems with some players both hardware and software.

I use mp3gain on every album I rip as part of my workflow.

Your friend may also want to look at Adapt-X Direct-X Plugin for WinAmp
Then he can find a pro level plugin that will process the sound to his liking.
I use iZotope Ozone 3 myself and it has nearly any option for mastering that you can think of.
They have a less featured version available as well.

Finally, have your friend get a backup of his data. If the material is that valuable to him, seems silly to trust it to whirring things in a box.

tomos:
mp3gain itself does not write tags, the Windows GUI for it does that.
You can and should turn that 'feature' off as it uses an non-standard tag (APE) to hold the info. Those tags cause problems with some players both hardware and software.

I use mp3gain on every album I rip as part of my workflow.
-GHammer (April 24, 2008, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
anyone know what is meant by the bit in bold :tellme:
I presume
Menu > Options > Tags > Ignore (do not read or write tags)

does that not stop it from completing it's main purpose ?
mp3gain writes both a track gain and album gain tag to the file. It does NOT change the audio in anyway.
-Ampa (April 07, 2008, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version