ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

mp3 Audio OUTPUT volume normalizer? Any such thing?

(1/7) > >>

Mr.Fancypants:
My neighbor works with thousands of mp3 audio files.  The volume control needs constant attention when he plays them one after another.  One might be low volume and the next would be blaring loud.

Is there some software solution that could automatically regulate the volume output???

He's seeking something where he doesn't have to tinker with each individual mp3 file.

When I mess with my own mp3 files, I use either the freeware called MP3Gain or the freeware MP3DirectCut to change the volume within the file itself. 

Again, he's seeking something where he doesn't have to tinker with each individual mp3 file.

Any ideas or experience with this?

kfitting:
Quintessential Media Player (QMP, www.quinnware.com) has a feature called replaygain that does this sort of thing.  QMP is not the only player that uses this, I just know it because I use it.  dbPowerAmp music converter will process files and put replaygain tags on them. 

In short, search for stuff on replaygain.  I've used it on ogg, wma, mp3... it's just a tag your music player has to be able to read.

Kevin

Ampa:
Changing the actual audio level of the individual files is BAD as this will entail re-encoding them MP3s, causing further loss of quality - plus it is slow.

Replaygain is the best solution, but this will entail scanning all the files and adding a replaygain tag. MP3Gain is the freeware app to use in this situation.

xmPlay is not only tiny with superb sound quality, but supports both track and album replaygain. It also has Auto-amp...

This causes the amplification level to be automatically reduced whenever clipping occurs. With fade-in enabled, it will fade-in new tracks until they clip, then it'll behave the same as normal. Dynamic mode continues to increase and decrease the amplification level throughout playback.-the xmPlay help file...
--- End quote ---

Hirudin:
MP3Gain (aka replaygain) is really the way to go.
Again, he's seeking something where he doesn't have to tinker with each individual mp3 file.
...-Mr.Fancypants (March 27, 2008, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
So, is it that he doesn't want to have to mess with the MP3s on an individual basis, or does he want to avoid having to change all his files?
... If that's not clear, let me say it a different way: Would a program that will batch process ALL his MP3s at once be good enough? I'm sure there's plenty of programs that will batch process MP3s, but if not I could dig up the script I made for "The GodFather" music manager which will do it.

Mr.Fancypants:
I  *assume*  he doesn't want to risk any of his files.  His life savings is wrapped up in his system and all those files.   And it would be a serious problem if the audio quality was lessened.  I'm not sure if changes in the file creation/modified dates is an issue. 

Batch processing MIGHT be something, but he doesn't have the capacity to back up all the files at this point.

He's heavily invested in specialized WinAmp add-ons, and can't/won't consider other players.

Ya know how how most audio recorders have for decades had automatic volume level control?   I think he's wondering if there's anything like that on the audio OUTPUT side.  If not, then something like mp3gain is bound to be the only solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version