ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP's slow death is approaching, according to Microsoft's timeline

<< < (4/5) > >>

zridling:
Sadly, Windows is already one of the most pirated pieces of software on the planet (next to MS Office and Photoshop); modularity is a much better alternative to selling 7 different versions, of which we only want the best version. But once it goes subscription, it will be another bitter pill to swallow. I can't say enough curse words without hyperventilating about that idea.

johnk:
An interesting Engadget article which backs up my previous post on the Eee.

Asus and Microsoft seem to agree that Vista is just a non-starter for machines like the Eee, but the Engadget article says that the Windows 7 kernel will make it easier to build an "Eee-friendly" version, and Asus and MS are already discussing this.

This also begs another question: if Windows 7 is due anytime between 2009 and 2011 (depending on which rumour you believe), how long will MS allow vendors to offer XP in Eee-style machines? If they withdraw XP as scheduled, that would just kill the Windows version of the Eee until Windows 7. And with the Eee predicted to ship 5m units this year (and many copycat products on the way), MS is hardly likely to reject the opportunity to sell millions of XP licences.

All of this suggests that XP will stick around for some time.

Stoic Joker:
I like have your cake & eat it too solutions. (..and toward that end...)

MS dropping support for XP really won't have any impact on the Asus eee. Mainly because MS doesn't "support" OEM copies on any OS in the first place ... that job is left exclusively up to the OEM.

MS can drop support for the public sector according to schedule.

Asus can use the 2-3yr "Extended Support" period which is part of the life-cycle for (a small fee) those that just aren't ready to adopt the new version.

Asus then has a backup plan (if needed) to support their XP/eee end users until Win7 arrives.

app103:
Comparing Windows versions and the length of time in which they recieved official support from Microsoft (in days), XP users reallly don't have that much to complain about, especially when you consider the fact that the release of SP3 adds more time to its support life cycle.

The ones that still have the most right to complain are the ones that paid for WinME and devices running some older versions of WinCE.

It's slightly outdated (some of the dates need to be changed for more recent OS's), but I put this together a little while back to show exactly what I was talking about and support some of my views on how WinME users really got the short end of the stick when it came to product support from Microsoft. (it missed the red zone by only 19 days)

http://appsapps.info/Microsoft_Windows_Total_Days_of_Support.html

And it doesn't matter how you feel about WinME as an operating system. Love it or hate it, the fact remains that PEOPLE PAID for it just like they did with any other version of Windows, and the numbers say exactly what they got in return for their cash.

And unless there is going to be a few more service packs for Vista, those that buy into that OS are also going to get the short end of the stick, especially those that have bought any of the home versions.

And the idea of a subscription based Windows is just going to further decrease the value you get by choosing Windows as your OS. Microsoft's goal isn't to give users a great value, or make Windows more affordable...their goal is to make as much money as possible and giving as little as they can in return.

For those K.W. Jeter fans out there, keep your eyes open for the future release of "Windows TOAW".  >:(

johnk:
The almost inevitable postscript to this thread:  Microsoft extends XP--for budget laptops only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version