ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Zaine at BetaNews? Open Office Comment

(1/2) > >>

clif_notes:
By zridling
posted Oct 20, 2005 - 5:43 PM

So when is version 3.0 due, 2019? ...Other major features in version 2.0 include a completely redesigned interface that provides multi-pane views, floating toolbars and native desktop integration, all which mirrors elements of Microsoft Office.

Wait, I thought the idea is to be NOT like Microsoft Office! WTF, mate?-BetaNews - OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final Launches
--- End quote ---

Good point Zaine. Open Office is playing catch-up most of the time. They do have some features that are better than MS Office. I'm not surprised they'd copy the most popular features.

zridling:
That's me! I worked almost two years on version 1.x and was disappointed that it took SO LONG for version 2.0 to arrive. I understand Open Source works on an entirely different pace than commercial software, but there's no "wow" factor in 2.0. It's good, but I wish they would have incorporated more ideas within Writer. Credit where credit's due: templates and styles are much better.

moerl:
Well.. what did you expect? MS Office is the office suite to beat. Obviously, any competitor will want to at least equal the product they're going to war with. Once they achieve that, they can add features and innovate.. or, alternatively, they could do what MS Office does, but better :). That's even harder though. All I'm trying to say is that I don't see a reason for complaint if OO is trying to catch up with MS Office.

Carol Haynes:
Biggest problem to me is bloat - a lot of the features are never used by 99.99999% of users.

I'd settle for MS compatible files in an app that doesn't support all the bells and whistles but works efficiently. When I start up an MS Office app I sometimes think I may as well go and make a coffee!

clif_notes:
Biggest problem to me is bloat - a lot of the features are never used by 99.99999% of users.

I'd settle for MS compatible files in an app that doesn't support all the bells and whistles but works efficiently. When I start up an MS Office app I sometimes think I may as well go and make a coffee!
-CarolHaynes (October 22, 2005, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have found that this Suite is considerably less bloated.
http://freewarewiki.pbwiki.com/ClifsCurrentNewsletter#602PCSuiteMSOfficealternative

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version