ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I too demanding, or are they all cheating?

<< < (2/3) > >>

TucknDar:
@ TucknDar:

Thanks for the tip, überOptions looks nice, but I don't need to redefine all the buttons, I could do it with HotkeyP should I need it. The problem is that the wheel doesn't produce any signal, so there's no solution. The only mouse in the world...-yksyks (March 24, 2008, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Really? No signal at all? That's strange. As I said, I've got the pre-nano version, which certainly can click the mousewheel. That certainly is an odd "development" from Logitech :huh:

yksyks:
Yes, hard to believe, isn't it? Look at the response of the überOptions author. No solution. Having written that, none of the mentioned cases has a solution. I just wanted to warn the community.

TucknDar:
The wheel click on the VX Nano is a mechanical switch to changing the scrolling modes (free spin vs. click-to-click scrolling) and can not be used as a button. The tilt left/right actions of the wheel or the search button can be set to the Middle Click action.
--- End quote ---
:o
That really sucks. Have you considered remapping tilt left or right to middleclick? If the search button doesn't do for you (I can understand, because it isn't too comfortable, tbh.) and if you don't need sideways scrolling then I suppose that's the closest you get.

I actually wanted a VX nano for the tiny USB connector, but I definitely won't buy one if I can't click the wheel.

yksyks:
Good I could save you from such a disillusion. I wouldn't buy it either, had I known this before...

I was thinking about using the wheel tilt, too, but it's a useful feature. Besides, when you need wheel-click and drag (in Sketchup), it wouldn't be very handy.

So, I'm getting used to the separate middle button. It really sucks, because I'm used to close tabs and applications with it and when I'm on my desktop I have to switch to a real wheel-click again, etc.

vradmilovic:
And now tell me: Am I too demanding-yksyks (March 23, 2008, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not at all. Having those all the time, although, as some kind of vendor, I'm often not inclined to call it "cheating", just "lousy design", "unawareness of need" or "too complicated to implement in this case".

Here are few of my examples, from the top of the head:

- Dishwasher with 8 programs (max. that I could find here), but no program for fast few minutes rinsing without detergent. Fastest way is to use 20 minute program with small amount of detergent (we're using regular sized tablets, so no way to do this).

- DVD player with radio - radio works only if headphones/ext. speakers are plugged in, not if you use AUX outputs.

- Database system/library that locks whole table if in transaction.

- Invoicing software that allows template changing: you have GUI to change colors in HTML template, but HTML is hardcoded so there is no way to add or remove things.

- Modern phone with only one entry in redial history.

- Car with an option to lock rear doors (children protection). With a previous 10-years old model of (almost) same car, unlocking has been done automatically by opening front doors, and new model requires you to exit the car and open door from the outside.

- Same car: doors are automatically locked if speed exceeds 10 kmph, but you can open any door from the inside, unless children protection from above is activated (see above: in this case, it's never possible to open rear doors from the inside, locked or not). What's this? A hijacking protection?

- A laptop with just two USB ports placed so close one to each other - no way to use both unless you are using very thin cable.

List goes on and on... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version