ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XP boot-up problem

<< < (2/5) > >>

nosh:
I'd have gone with mouser on the security app thing (doesn't necessarily have to be an AV, could be something like a firewall bundled with HIPS) but your claim that CPU usage is very low blows away that theory.
Use Process Explorer to single out what's using so much CPU power during file operations.

cranioscopical:

I had this happen to me but it by no means makes it relevant to your case, so only FWIW YMMV:

I don't know how you're set up, but you could try logging in as another user.
If there's something messed up in the registry, or your configuration files are in some way damaged, this might give you a clue to what's happening if another user account runs okay.

I'd listen to the advice of others before mine any day  :)

Good luck, anyway!

Armando:
I'd have gone with mouser on the security app thing (doesn't necessarily have to be an AV, could be something like a firewall bundled with HIPS) but your claim that CPU usage is very low blows away that theory.
Use Process Explorer to single out what's using so much CPU power during file operations.
-nosh (March 22, 2008, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, sometimes HIPS can really block everything with very low CPU usage. Firewalls, AV and antispy app are the first one to suspect in my experience. Network applications too.

If that's not too much trouble, you could uninstall your security apps one after the other -- and see what happens after each uninstallation + reboot.

A chkdsk /f c: might be a good idea too.

mouser:
running chkdsk to check for bad hard disk sectors is a good idea -- i had a laptop that could become really really slow (especially at boot) and it was traced to dying hard drive.  not sure why that causes this behavior but it did.

johnk:
Thanks for all the advice.  I did try booting without any AV installed at one stage, but it didn't help.  The only firewall I've ever used is Kerio 2. I really don't think that's causing it. I'll run chkdsk tonight. Hope the hard drive isn't a problem.  I cannot stand the thought of a reinstall -- my system is hyper-modified and it would take days to get it back to this state.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version