ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Monster Cables- The World should know!

<< < (8/15) > >>

f0dder:
Back then, SpinRite could know exactly what MFM or RLL magnetic flux patterns were being written and where.
--- End quote ---
And there were no subtle differences between different models?

There were certain bit patterns that were more magnetically 'difficult' than others, and it was this information that SpinRite would use to determine which sectors were going bad.
--- End quote ---
And did SpinRite ever "use that information"? I really doubt it, considering the mumbo-jumbo non-tech way Gibson writes... you might want to use buzzwords, but if you have something that works, you'll also want to throw in a few existing words from the terminology.

But boy, there sure is something in the way that Gibson writes about his stuff that really sets some people off.
--- End quote ---
Yes, the way he writes... the way he sometimes claim to have invented new stuff... his self-importance... and the way the whole choir of believers just swallow the whole load without questioning.

Rover:
But boy, there sure is something in the way that Gibson writes about his stuff that really sets some people off.
--- End quote ---
Yes, the way he writes... the way he sometimes claim to have invented new stuff... his self-importance... and the way the whole choir of believers just swallow the whole load without questioning.
-f0dder (March 26, 2008, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose so.  I think some of that is how you read it.  It is advertising ya know. 

I just went and looked at the SpinRite 6 FAQ's.  They seem to be fairly up front.  Works with SMART, won't low-level format.  30-Day NQA $ back.  *shurg*

f0dder:
So, you picked a couple of the least offensive bits from the FAQ :P

See what I found (or rather, what somebody posted somewhere so late last night that I forgot how I stumbled upon it).
Worse, Steve encouraged people to use SpinRite to "recover" areas that had
been detected and marked as defective at the factory, a bad idea that
leads to more failures in the long run, since end user controllers are not
as sensitive as factory test equipment -- they are simply incapable of the
kind of thorough testing done at the factory.  Then of course SpinRite
would be "needed" again to "fix" those failures, a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

As for the people that swear by SpinRite, there are lots of people that
believe in astrology, but that doesn't make it any more valid.
-John Navas
--- End quote ---

Hirudin:
Heh... I didn't intend to open this can of worms... I mostly said it was good so that I could post that image with a clear conscience. Now we can leave it up because we're commenting on it (which I think circumvents copyright or something)...
To be honest, I can't remember if I've ever used it to actually recover any files on any drives. Actually, I think I gave up on it when I couldn't make it read a SATA drive.

To get slightly more on topic...
This conversation reminds me of my days around wine connoisseurs.  An old line French winery ran into difficulties and lost a bunch of grape vines.  For the three years it took them to grow new vines they simply bought bulk wine from wholesalers and bottled it under their label. 
The truth came out finally and there was a great deal of trouble about it.  It seems that the winery had won a number of awards and high praise for their vintage when they were bottling the bulk stuff.  The funny thing about this is that even though this experience proved that the so called ''experts'' couldn't tell bulk wine from vintage wine, the experts continued grading wines and the connoisseurs kept listening to them. 
-oldfart (March 23, 2008, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
HAHAHA!! If this isn't an urban legend I'd love to get more information on this... Do you have any links about this story?

Did anyone see the "Bullshit" (a TV show on Showtime) where Penn and Teller told people they were getting all kinds of different water from around the world and recorded their reactions? Of course all the water had the same source: a garden hose behind the restaurant.
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fZK3m7bDc

Cuffy:
Wine, water and now........
POPCORN!
About 40 years ago when cable TV came along and then Showtime, we signed on for the service.
We got the movie channel connected and a program guide. My wife was all excited and wanted to invite her folks over to watch our first movie.
I told my father-in-law that I would buy the movie tickets if he bought the popcorn.
They showed up at the appointed hour and my FIL had a jar of Orville Redenbacher popcorn. We popped the corn in my electric popper and enjoyed the movie. My FIL bragged about the quality and flavor of Orville Redenbacher's finest the entire time they were here.
I had to replenish my popcorn supply before the next movie so added it to the grocery list. When I checked the popcorn isle at the supermarket I discovered that a bottle of Orville Redenbacher's finest cost about the same as four movie tickets. On the same shelf was a one pound plastic bag of JollyTime popcorn for 29 cents.
I opted for the JollyTime, came home, refilled the Orville Redenbacher jar with the JollyTime, hid the bag in a lower drawer, and placed the jar in the cabinet where it was usually kept.
Showtime came around and the folks showed up as usual. And as usual, we broke out the popcorn popper, which I dutifily charged with a shot of fresh kernals from the Orville Redenbacher jar. We watched the movie and enjoyed hot popcorn, Redenbacher's finast from the JollyTime bag. Everyone commented that you could really tell the difference when you bought the best. I agreed!
Until the day he died my father-in-law ate JollyTime popcorn from an Orville Redenbacher jar, raved about it's flavor, and enjoyed every kernal.
I buy nothing but the finast! <G>
 ;D
That's how legends are made!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version