ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Jello Dashboard + OneNote as PIM/GTD tools - user experience/feedback/advice?

<< < (2/2)

rgdot:
I am aware of this, it used to work but I have no idea if as of now the 'trial' download is really what it was before.
http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-onenote/archive/2010/07/31/download-the-standalone-trial-version-for-onenote-2010.aspx

barney:
I am aware of this, it used to work but I have no idea if as of now the 'trial' download is really what it was before.
http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-onenote/archive/2010/07/31/download-the-standalone-trial-version-for-onenote-2010.aspx
-rgdot (August 22, 2011, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently not ... both the trial and Buy Now produce a MS page with product not found messages  :(.  Perhaps it's not released as a standalone any more  :huh:?

barney:
Update.

-rgdot (August 22, 2011, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently not ... both the trial and Buy Now produce a MS page with product not found messages  :(.  Perhaps it's not released as a standalone any more  :huh:?

-barney (August 22, 2011, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even though I couldn't find a download link, MS used the data I had to submit to find that out to send me an email with a Product Key for OneNote 2010.  However, when I used the link they provided, I was back at a [previously visited, I think] page to buy/trial Office 2010.  Seems not even MS can get this straight  :P.

OK, maybe if I'd clicked one of those Office links I'd have found it, but I'm just not willing to go on a scavenger hunt through MS's links.  If they provide it, it should be so provided, not used as a teaser to MS Office, nor should it be a puzzle.

The email I received for the trial Product Key stated a price for the standalone version.  OK, maybe I can go there, right?  Nope, back at the Office sales page. Fahh Shazbat  >:(!

Funny thing is, I used to be a MS devotee <sigh />.

IainB:
@Jimdoria:
OK, well strictly speaking OneNote does NOT require Outlook or any of the other Office programs in any way.

If you already have them it will work with them and there are some nice features that take advantage of Outlook/Office, but the CORE functionality of OneNote (really about 95% of the app) is unconnected with either Office or Outlook. The integration piece is just icing, not cake.

You can buy OneNote stand-alone. You don't have to get it as part of Office.
-Jimdoria (August 22, 2011, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, yes, I was aware that OneNote did not necessitate the use of Outlook - I just said that "Onenote is definitely more useful if used in conjunction with Outlook". I suspect that this is deliberate - Microsoft tend to integrate everything as much as possible, to increase lock-in.
I had not known that you could get OneNote as standalone though - i.e., not as part of MS Office - though I did know that it was originally standalone and had thought it was no longer so.

IainB:
I had not known that you could get OneNote as standalone though - i.e., not as part of MS Office - though I did know that it was originally standalone and had thought it was no longer so.
-IainB (August 23, 2011, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
I chanced across this interesting blog post today - by someone who apparently found how to get hold of and install OneNote as standalone (i.e., without MS Office):
Perfect example of unintuitive Microsoft workflow

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version