ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Grivitation-like" paradigm would have helped in the interim

<< < (4/11) > >>

f0dder:
No, backups only guarantee we can get back on track - a distributed approach would mean we never go down. There's several issues to address, though... first, servers would need to be heterogenous (ie, linux, bsd and NT, something like that) to ensure not all get hacked at one time. And, because of how the internet protocols work, there would need to be a "single point of failure" server that was unhackable, which would arbitrate against the distributed servers...

mouser:
well one thing we are definitely going to do is set up a backup emergency forum (and website mirror) so that if the site goes down again, everyone will know where to go while the main site is unreachable.  it's not the perfect solution but i think it would help.

CodeTRUCKER:
I just don't want this topic to turn into another unnecessary flame war on this forum. Yes, I strongly object to Gri's ways of posting, it's v clear and there's no need to hide anything.
-Wordzilla (March 19, 2008, 09:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you didn't want to start a flame war, why did YOU start it?

I'm not trying to discredit the idea, thou. The very fact that u described this "Grivation-like" paradigm makes me believe that this is how it will run if implemented, i.e. "Forcing everyone to browse 10+ individual forums for individual "decentralized" posts." -- based on what we experienced with Gri's posts.

--- End quote ---
Whether you were "trying" to or not is irrelevant, you did!  Carrying a moniker like "Wordzilla" requires a stricter judgement when using words.  Your diction becomes circumspect and requires the utmost discretion when making choices about what words to use in expressing thought.  I'm not completely sure what a Global Moderator is or does here, but it seems to me that the insertion of personal biases and inflammatory remarks would certainly not be on the job description.  If you are a "Global Moderator" then "moderate," but leave the "parenting" to those with patriarchal and matriarchal lineage.  You don't need to protect anyone.  If for some reason you feel like you should interject your own personal biased deflections in someone else's thread, at least have the deference to remove "Global Moderator" from your labels as it gives a tone to the forums that is incongruous with the vision Mouser and I both share for DC.

PhilB66:
the vision Mouser and I both share for DC.
-CodeTRUCKER (March 19, 2008, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this vision made public? Would love to know more about it.

CodeTRUCKER:
the vision Mouser and I both share for DC.
-CodeTRUCKER (March 19, 2008, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this vision made public? Would love to know more about it.
-PhilB66 (March 19, 2008, 10:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

No public declaration needed.  The very tone of the DC community shouts loudly that a board can be a place where people of integrity, common courtesy and deference can co-exist with opposing views.  Oh yeah, it's also a place that proves you can be a geek and still be normal. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version