ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (14/52) > >>

mitzevo:
Very nice review Ken! I just installed and tried Linkman last night, looks solid, will play with it more the coming days.. once again nice write up.. and a good piece of software here.  :Thmbsup:

Question:

I some how disabled/removed the button from the browsers (in the title bar, right side next to the 3 regular ones), how can I get it back?

J-Mac:
KenR,

I was wondering if you could help me with a few Linkman issues that have been giving me some difficulty.  I have written two email messages to Outertech Support but have not received any replies at all from them, which is more than a little disappointing.  The first was submitted on May 11 and the second on May 13.  Not even an autoresponder confirmation.  I hope that is not normal for Outertech.  Anyway, here are my questions:

* I am having more difficulty with Linkman's UI than any other I have used.  I have read everything I can find in the Help file and in the PDF manual but still find getting what I want to see on the screen is not very easy.  Most of the time I end up closing Linkman altogether and then reopening it later, hoping that it will return to the original view that I started with.  (Ken, this is partly resolved once I discovered that the last drop-down in the right-hand pane determines what you see in that pane, though there are still some anomalies that I have not figured out yet).  There are times when I cannot figure out what is showing in the right pane, and why.  At times the right pane seems to be showing the contents of the highlighted folder on the left.  Other times, however, it is showing something completely unrelated.  I sometimes hate to do anything that might lose that view because it is so difficult to get it back.  Any particular tips you may have found since you have been playing with this application a bit longer than I have?

* Searching for a link, or running a query actually, is very different from what I have seen in other applications.  No actual search dialog shows up, or at least anything that looks like a search dialog.  The UI doesn't really change at all when I click on the Search button.  Is there any way that I can open a search dialog?  Or even make one of the panes look like a search dialog?  The present search capability, while it may be powerful, as claimed, is kind of difficult to look at, at least for me.  It's different than most other programs' search functions.  The deskbar's "query" function, while being very fast, has been pretty limited so far IMO.  If there are more than one links with the keyword I'm searching for, only one shows up.  I then have to open the full UI to perform the search over again.  (The word or words used in the deskbar search do not carry over into the full UI).

* Also I have had a few instances where the Linkman query simply will not find certain words.  Actually, it DOES find the word in one or two links, but is missing a few where it also appears in the title.  Have you noticed this?  E.g., I have two different links for Citizen Bank.  Running a query on "citizen" finds two other links that also have that word in them, but does not return either of the Bank-related links.

* Ever since installing Linkman Version 7.3.0.1 the window view has been a little tough to get right.  Whenever I click on the deskbar link to show and hide Linkman it opens in a "Normal" window, even though I have always viewed it maximized in the previous version.  As a matter of fact, Linkman always opened fully maximized in the previous version.  Not any more, though.  Now, after it opens in the smaller Normal window, I click on the Maximize button and the window is maximized, but the contents of the window stay the same as they were in the Normal window.  IOW, the window maximizes but the contents of the window do not!  If I then restore it to a Normal window and immediately maximize it again the contents then become maximized.   Sometimes I have to do this a few times before the contents become maximized.  Is this a known issue with Version 7.3.0.1?
That's about it in a nutshell.  A few other little annoyances, but the above are the ones that are really giving me some problems.  Navigation can be a little wonky, but hopefully I will get used to that.

Most distressing, though, is not getting any response to my support requests.  Outertech seemed to be extremely accommodating here in the forum when your review was first posted.

Thanks Ken!

Jim

J-Mac:
I know that the above post is three months old, and at the time no one replied at all.  Even Outertech.

The following day, May 18, I wrote to Outertech Support with basically the same information.  Never received a reply or any acknowledgment at all.

I wrote again late last week because those issues are still happening, along with a few new ones, but again there is no acknowledgment reply, no actual reply from Outertech Support - nothing.

So as responsive as the developer tried to appear when this review was first written, I believe that was purely for PR reasons, with the review and the DC discount.  Three months without any replies at all from their support belies the praise that was heaped on this developer by the review.  I dumped Linkman.  Picked up LinkStash at Bits du Jor a little while ago.  You never know, but I really don't see how the developer could be any worse.

Jim

iphigenie:
A quick note since I am looking at bookmark managers yet again now that I have too many browsers to handle.

Linkman has added support for Chrome, although there seems to be nothing for Safari.
I am not aware of any BM that supports all of ie, mozilla (inc flock), safari, opera, chrome and I would love to be enlightened :)

rjbull:
A quick note since I am looking at bookmark managers yet again now that I have too many browsers to handle.

Linkman has added support for Chrome, although there seems to be nothing for Safari.
I am not aware of any BM that supports all of ie, mozilla (inc flock), safari, opera, chrome and I would love to be enlightened :)
-iphigenie (September 18, 2008, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

LinkStash 1.7.3 (that I'm still using for compatibility with Win98: current version with more features, but not I think more browsers, is 2.0.11) gives you seven named browsers plus <Windows Default>, viz., IE, Netscape 8, Netscape 7, Opera, NetCaptor, Mozilla, and Mozilla Firefox.  It doesn't specify the program locations for any of these, so as I don't have Mozilla, I've changed its entry to K-Meleon which I do sometimes use.  Go to Linkstash Tools -> Options and select the browser tab to see what I mean.  LinkStash has hotkeys for each of these 8 slots, go Tools -> Open With to get a menu of them.  So it won't support an infinite variety of browsers, but 7 plus IE should be enough to be going on with, especially as you can redefine them as your tastes change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version