ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (11/52) > >>

Outertech Support:
BTW, Outertech Guy, which one are you on your "About Us" page?   ;)  ;D-J-Mac (May 01, 2008, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm the cool one!

Outertech Support:
Due to many user requests Linkman Donationcoder discount has been extended.

May 3rd - May 8th: 30%
May 9th - May 31st: 20%

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Great thread.  I will download Linkman and give it a spin.  Here are my pre-download thoughts.

I am a little unusual because I use my Powermarks bookmarks as a PIM and research grouping assistant, and I have no interest in folders, since my whole system is carefully designed on keywords.  (I place the link-group keyword in the visible part of the text so I can always find the brother and sister links, I don't even use the Powermarks group category capabilities.) And I have 10's of thousands of links.  I kicked up the priority (Process Tamer) to try to avoid any swapping out of memory and it works virtually instantly.

So therefore I will have to see if there is Powermarks import (perhaps two-step) and how well it works.

I will have to see if the keyword functionality in Linkman (or any other program) is truly up to snuff.

And I am surprised that there was a lack of a Firefox toolbar, Powermarks actually did that by necessity (they never got one for Opera) because of Firefox interface lacks, and it turned out to be fantastic.  The Linkman situation is almost the reverse.

MagicSpeller - Synchronization with Powermarks does not really require NetSync either (which may not take real huge files, not sure) since there is a built-in merge that works fine.  I haven't checked how it handles two different versions of the same bookmark (e.g. last modify date) but that is almost irrelevant anyway, it is the new adds that count.  If Linkman doesn't have good merging that it is a concern, albeit not insurmountable.  You can always carry the latest version on a USB, or auto-FTP to here or there. However I would like to know the status of that on Linkman, I have grown fond of the Powermarks merge.

I agree with the Linkman idea that their own browser would be superfluous (maybe the only part of the excellent review that left me puzzled) and I personally do not want my bookmark program checking for website 'changes' at the expense of overhead.  The whole world changes, ads change, minor text changes, this and that happens, it just is not a factor for me, although I can understand in some cases of monitoring it could be helpful.

Powermarks has no internal encryption capabilities, so that could be a plus.  It has some features I never tried out, like URL Macro, and I barely use some of the fields.  And it is very nicely configurable and well-behaved.  Linkman sounds a little bit more untamed, at least at first, but that will take time to try and see.

(Oh, I am not concerned about the end-of-life of Powermarks for some years at least.  I encouraged the developer but it does not seem like the code or design is going elsewhere, at least for now.)

Hmm. I could not even find the forum that you have to register to read.  Hidden support forum ?

The pic on the website (url at top post on this page) meant to be humorous, I see as tacky and unprofessional, and I actually hesitate now on the download. (As might 100 other people who won't tell you .. who may think that animal house humor might be the video choice of some but out-of-place in their fav shareware recommendations.)

Shalom,
Steven

J-Mac:
I seem to have run into a problem with Linkman -- it apparently has taken over the bottom of my display.  there has to be a way around this.

Whenever Linkman is running the deskbar runs across the entire bottom of the screen, which I am not especially fond of because with a widescreen monitor the vertical dimension is already reduced, compared to a standard display.  I was just working in 3D Home Architect and I grew tired of having to switch to the "hand" icon to drag the view up and down because the screen is so narrow with Linkman running.  So I exited from Linkman. After all, I didn't even have a browser open so it was just there doing nothing.

However even after closing Linkman, 3D Home Architect - which was maximized - still did not fill in the space across the entire length of the bottom of the monitor.  In other words, it acted as if Linkman was still there. I thought, "This can't be right", so I restored 3DHA to a regular window and then maximized it again.  Nope - still left the space that had been taken up by Linkman.

Then I thought that perhaps this was a unique flaw in how 3D Home Architect renders and that it would not find the correct screen size unless it was closed and then restarted without Linkman open in the first place.  I closed 3DHA and reopened it - still has the space for Linkman at the bottom!  Next I opened several other programs to their maximized view but all cannot fill the bottom of the screen at all, the place where the Linkman deskbar had been.

This is not good.  When I need my entire screen, I need the entire screen!  Including the bottom where the Linkman deskbar sits.  Why on earth does Linkman reserve that area even when it is not open?

More importantly, how do I reclaim that space for other applications?  I can see it taking that space while my browser is open, but not at other times.  Especially when Linkman is not even open.  Other applications that use an added taskbar or a sidebar automatically grab the screen space they need when opened and then yield it when they are closed, so it can definitely be done that way.

Is this done via a registry key?  Whatever the case I need to be able to use that portion of my screen when I need it, so how can I get Linkman to give it up when requested or when closed?

Jim

KenR:
I seem to have run into a problem with Linkman -- it apparently has taken over the bottom of my display.  there has to be a way around this.

Whenever Linkman is running the deskbar runs across the entire bottom of the screen, which I am not especially fond of because with a widescreen monitor the vertical dimension is already reduced, compared to a standard display.  I was just working in 3D Home Architect and I grew tired of having to switch to the "hand" icon to drag the view up and down because the screen is so narrow with Linkman running.  So I exited from Linkman. After all, I didn't even have a browser open so it was just there doing nothing.

However even after closing Linkman, 3D Home Architect - which was maximized - still did not fill in the space across the entire length of the bottom of the monitor.  In other words, it acted as if Linkman was still there. I thought, "This can't be right", so I restored 3DHA to a regular window and then maximized it again.  Nope - still left the space that had been taken up by Linkman.

Then I thought that perhaps this was a unique flaw in how 3D Home Architect renders and that it would not find the correct screen size unless it was closed and then restarted without Linkman open in the first place.  I closed 3DHA and reopened it - still has the space for Linkman at the bottom!  Next I opened several other programs to their maximized view but all cannot fill the bottom of the screen at all, the place where the Linkman deskbar had been.

This is not good.  When I need my entire screen, I need the entire screen!  Including the bottom where the Linkman deskbar sits.  Why on earth does Linkman reserve that area even when it is not open?

More importantly, how do I reclaim that space for other applications?  I can see it taking that space while my browser is open, but not at other times.  Especially when Linkman is not even open.  Other applications that use an added taskbar or a sidebar automatically grab the screen space they need when opened and then yield it when they are closed, so it can definitely be done that way.

Is this done via a registry key?  Whatever the case I need to be able to use that portion of my screen when I need it, so how can I get Linkman to give it up when requested or when closed?

Jim
-J-Mac (May 06, 2008, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Jim

If I understand you correctly, it is the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. If you drag it off, you can resize it to any size you want. Otherwise, you can just tell the program to hide the toolbar.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version