ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (8/52) > >>

mouser:
I think someone should take note of the fact that, whether you decide Linkman is right for you or not, rarely have we seen a shareware author so responsive to user questions and suggestions posted on this forum.  It's impressive and speaks very well for Outertech.  :up:

Outertech Support:
@Ken or Outertech Support:

The method for adding URL's using the deskbar is fairly simple, except for one aspect, and I have not yet found a quick remedy:  Clicking the globe w/Link icon auto adds the URL to my bookmarks, but it goes to whichever folder is highlighted in the Linkman window, which is, of course, not visible when adding URLs.  If I wanted to add the bookmark to a specific folder in my bookmarks (actually my Linkman bookmarks), how do I accomplish this without opening the main Linkman interface?-J-Mac (April 25, 2008, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

There fastest way to do it:

Switch the Toolbar from All to Folders. Select the folder you want the url to be added to. Now either right click the folder and click on Add URL from browser, or click the globe button.

There are numerous ways to add new URLs to Linkman (see the tuturial section) and even more are on the way for 7.30 and 7.40.

Also some sort of a folder tree will be added. We have several hundred users that have surpassed the 1 million links mark, so the method of implementation has to be really thought thru, speed is essential.

OK - I imported my Firefox bookmarks again and the ones saved last night in Linkman are there.  Whew!!  :)-J-Mac (April 25, 2008, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you import any Mozilla Bookmarks into Linkman and restart it, Linkman will not import them automatically on next start (as with lmd files).

The reason, as mentioned earlier is to point users to the native Linkman data format (lmd) which should be used instead (file | save as makes a lmd file out of your bookmarks).

If the user decides not to use lmd, he/she still can make Linkman import the bookmarks on program start. Just head to Tools | Settings | Program Start and add an Import startup action.

I'm reading through the Help file and PDF manual again, a little more closely now.  But some of this I would expect to be more easily determined right in the UI.  Also, a lot of times the documentation refers only to the Internet Explorer Favorites and the Netscape bookmarks.  I think a lot of the help doc material has been around for quite a while...-J-Mac
--- End quote ---

Firefox Bookmarks is an extension to Netscape Bookmarks (basically the same file), so all references to Netscape Bookmarks refer also to Firefox Bookmarks.

I do think it is great that it has such a detailed PDF manual available, though the Help file is a little sparse.  Some items I searched for and got the "Not Found" ding.-J-Mac
--- End quote ---

90% of people do not read manuals, so we would be glad to hear suggestions from users that do. Especially which parts of Linkman need more detailed explanation.

However some things like the database locations are not shown at all.  I was going through all the Application Data folders over and over, plus the Program Files folder - only to find it is kept in My Docs!  Not a bad choice at all, though so many developers still insist on using the Program Files folder that I didn't think to look on My Docs first.-J-Mac
--- End quote ---

We have a saying in Germany, which roughly translates to "I cannot see the forrest, because of all the trees in front of me".  :P

The next screenshot shows the center of Linkman's main window. A lmd file is loaded on the left side, and Firefox Bookmarks on the right side. I don't think the location of the files is that hard to find.

Also, the Settings dialog...  This might be one for that website of Settings designs that need improvement.  Tabs down the right side and settings seem a bit, scattered? It will take getting used to!-J-Mac
--- End quote ---

The tabs are on the right side because visually impaired Linkman users (I mean virtually blind) told us that their reading software can better cope with the settings in this way. This has the additional advantage that there is no need to scroll within the settings window, despite the mass of options.

J-Mac:
I think someone should take note of the fact that, whether you decide Linkman is right for you or not, rarely have we seen a shareware author so responsive to user questions and suggestions posted on this forum.  It's impressive and speaks very well for Outertech.  :up:
-mouser (April 26, 2008, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

On that I agree completely.  I am impressed with the level of communication here by Outertech!  And I'm not easily impressed.  (Read:  "I can be a real PITA"   :-[ :)   )

Jim

J-Mac:
Outertech guy:

I am absorbing your last post now; I've been pretty ill for a couple of days, and haven't even looked back here since last night.  So I'll try to take my time and get it all set up.

What I had switched to doing after realizing that selecting a folder each time wouldn't be as simple is to have it all go to a dated folder daily, and then try to sort it all out when I have time.  Someone else here - maybe Ken? - mentioned that here so I thought I would give that a try.

I'll post back after I'm on my feet again.

Thanks!

Jim

Outertech Support:
What I had switched to doing after realizing that selecting a folder each time wouldn't be as simple is to have it all go to a dated folder daily, and then try to sort it all out when I have time.  Someone else here - maybe Ken? - mentioned that here so I thought I would give that a try.-J-Mac (April 26, 2008, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

A lot of users work in this way. This is the fastest way to catalog new links. On the left side of Linkman's main window you have the new URLs, on the right side a folder query. You can drag & drop the URLs from the left side, to the folders on the right side.

The default destination for added URLs can be specified in Tools | Settings | Receive URLs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version