ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (15/52) > >>

SKA:
A new Linkman Version 7.50 (major update) released with :
    * Google Chrome support
    * Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 support
    * K-Meleon support
    * Maxthon support
    * Firefox 3 Bookmarks Import
    * Powermarks Import
    * User Interface Improvements (for example URL ratings can be changed for multiple URLs at once)
    * Separated automatic retrieval of URL Keywords and Description (Settings | Receive URLs)
    * Query History
    * Query "and search" improvements:  When searching for multiple terms, name & keywords of a folder will be  considered for every URL inside. eg. a folder "music" with several URLs inside,some with keyword "software" -If you search for "music and software" all of these URLs will be found, even if they don't possess the "music" keyword.

SKA

superboyac:
I posted this in the other thread here, but it warrants repeating.  I like how Linkman is super fast, reminds of the lightweight speed of Powermarks.  But it really is necessary to be able to create the three buttons that will work in Firefox (open main window, add bookmark, silently add bookmark).  With the exceptional gui configurability of the program, I think I'd be able to use it very well as a Powermarks replacement.

I forgot where I read it, but the Linkman author claimed that adding a Firefox plugin was impossible or something due to some technicality?  I just don't believe that.  Everyone else is making a plugin.  Please Linkman!  Don't make me beg...

Darwin:
Please Linkman!  Don't make me beg...
-superboyac (September 25, 2008, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, go on! You know you want to... Seriously, why not contact the author directly and ask?

http://www.outertech.com/

One of the authors is also active here on DC (Outertech Support)  :Thmbsup:

Outertech Support:
I know that the above post is three months old, and at the time no one replied at all.  Even Outertech.

The following day, May 18, I wrote to Outertech Support with basically the same information.  Never received a reply or any acknowledgment at all.

I wrote again late last week because those issues are still happening, along with a few new ones, but again there is no acknowledgment reply, no actual reply from Outertech Support - nothing.

So as responsive as the developer tried to appear when this review was first written, I believe that was purely for PR reasons, with the review and the DC discount.  Three months without any replies at all from their support belies the praise that was heaped on this developer by the review.  I dumped Linkman.  Picked up LinkStash at Bits du Jor a little while ago.  You never know, but I really don't see how the developer could be any worse.

Jim
-J-Mac (August 04, 2008, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Our support usually responds within 48 hours. Which was the email address you have used? was it [email protected]? [email protected] is heavily filtered because of the 1000 spam emails we are receiving a day.

The issues you have had with Linkman are very strange, almost hard to believe.

I give you an example:

"are times when I cannot figure out what is showing in the right pane, and why.  At times the right pane seems to be showing the contents of the highlighted folder on the left.  Other times, however, it is showing something completely unrelated"

The right pane (in query mode) has this combobox:

So when the right pane is showing the content of the selected folder, the very combobox, that is in the middle of your Linkman window says "Selected Folder Content". So how in the world could you have missed this?

Another example:

"Is there any way that I can open a search dialog? "

How about Edit | Search (or pressing Ctrl + F).

This looks almost like a conspiracy.  ;D

Outertech Support:
I posted this in the other thread here, but it warrants repeating.  I like how Linkman is super fast, reminds of the lightweight speed of Powermarks.  But it really is necessary to be able to create the three buttons that will work in Firefox (open main window, add bookmark, silently add bookmark).  With the exceptional gui configurability of the program, I think I'd be able to use it very well as a Powermarks replacement.

I forgot where I read it, but the Linkman author claimed that adding a Firefox plugin was impossible or something due to some technicality?  I just don't believe that.  Everyone else is making a plugin.  Please Linkman!  Don't make me beg...
-superboyac (September 25, 2008, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, I have not claimed that it's not possible to add a toolbar to Firefox. I've just said that is very complicated to offer the same functionality that the IE toolbar has. The reason for this is the Linux compatibility of Firefox. AFAIK it does not allow any DCOM servers (which the Linkman IE Toolbar is). 7.x will offer a Firefox toolbar in the future. It's not like we are not doing anything, Linkman has received 3 major updates in this year alone.

p.s.

As to Safari support, most probably there will be none. The Windows port of Safari avoids the Windows API at all costs. It's basically a Windows Emulation of a MacOS app. There is no way to communicate with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version