ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (5/52) > >>

Outertech Support:
URL validation is nice, but what was meant was a way of tracking changes in Web pages, not whether their URLs still existed.  As I said, I prefer to have those functions in separate programs.
-rjbull
--- End quote ---

Page changes tracking is a part of Linkman URL validation. Linkman announces every page that has changed (and by that I mean the content, not just the URL) since your last validation by underlining the link name.

Good...  do you plan a KeePass-style password feature?  Again, that's nice to have, but might be best left to a separate program.
-rjbull
--- End quote ---

No, I think it would bloat Linkman, because user would cry for more features once you go into the password manager direction. There are too many good tools that are specifically designed for this purpose (I recommend Roboform).

Outertech Support:
However there are some URLs that instead open a "parked domain" page at Texturizer.com.  Huh?  The domains are good - if I copy it and paste it into Firefox, IE, or Opera, it goes right to the correct site.  But in Linkman it goes to the Texturizer.com parked thing.  (I'm guessing that Texturizer is the developer's web host, and this is his way of referring bad URL's to them?)  This does not happen on all URLs; just on some.  If they were bad URLs I would understand, but they are good ones.
-J-Mac
--- End quote ---

I have never heard of Texturizer.com. There is no relation between this site and Outertech. I think the problem is specific to other software on your system (that somehow hooks into the URL launching).

see http://www.windowsbbs.com/archive/index.php/t-38193.html

rjbull:
URL validation is nice, but what was meant was a way of tracking changes in Web pages, not whether their URLs still existed.  As I said, I prefer to have those functions in separate programs.
-rjbull
--- End quote ---

Page changes tracking is a part of Linkman URL validation. Linkman announces every page that has changed (and by that I mean the content, not just the URL) since your last validation by underlining the link name.
-Outertech Support (April 25, 2008, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's an interesting feature, but short of WebSite-Watcher's ability to show you old and new pages with the differences highlit.  It can also be misleading, e.g. because many pages include a date.  WebSite-Watcher has functions to filter out things like that.  Again, I think that full monitoring is best left to a dedicated program.

Outertech Support:
That's an interesting feature, but short of WebSite-Watcher's ability to show you old and new pages with the differences highlit.  It can also be misleading, e.g. because many pages include a date.  WebSite-Watcher has functions to filter out things like that.  Again, I think that full monitoring is best left to a dedicated program.
-rjbull
--- End quote ---

Linkman is smart enough to ignore dates, user login texts etc.

Dormouse:
After reading the review, I downloaded and tried Linkman out. Never really got the hang of it at the beginning & stopped using it and then uninstalled when the trial ended. Maybe its because I use Opera & don't need it as much as ie users. And I don't have a massive number of favourites. Maybe its because I didn't read the 90 page manual. Maybe its a natural inability.

I can see an advantage to having a prog that keeps links with a bit more info than just the url - but for me it has to be very, very easy to use. I'd add things to the drop basket and not find them there when I looked later and it was easier to let it go than to try to read manuals or find out why. And the drop basket did get in the way, and I kept moving it around. I'd probably have preferred a small, hidden and zoomable basket somewhere on the top of the screen. (And maybe I could have pressed a couple of buttons and made it do that).

None of this is meant to be a criticism of Linkman; just a question of whether this type of software really makes my life easier or not. I'll possibly try again another time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version