ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who else is sick of difficult word verifications on the web?

<< < (5/23) > >>

Renegade:
Renegade: would that be Project Gutenberg? Can't find any reference to captcha on their site with a "I'm mega lazy" search, though...
-f0dder (March 17, 2008, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's a university thing, or a Google thing, or... I just don't remember. But if it was PG, I think I would have remembered it.

Perry Mowbray:
Renegade: would that be Project Gutenberg? Can't find any reference to captcha on their site with a "I'm mega lazy" search, though...
-f0dder (March 17, 2008, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade: is it ReCaptcha?
Use reCAPTCHA on Your Site!

reCAPTCHA helps prevent automated abuse of your site (such as comment spam or bogus registrations) by using a CAPTCHA to ensure that only humans perform certain actions.

* It's Free! Yep, reCAPTCHA is free. The only reason we might charge is if you require special services from us.
* It's Useful. Why waste the effort of your users? By using reCAPTCHA instead of other CAPTCHA implementations, you are helping to digitize books.
* It's Easy. reCAPTCHA is a Web service. As such, adopting it is as simple as adding 4 lines of code on your site. For many applications and programming languages such as Wordpress and PHP we also have easy-to-install plugins available. We generate and check the distorted images, so you don't need to run costly image generation programs.
* It's Accessible. Most other implementations of CAPTCHAs block visually impaired individuals, who cannot read images of distorted text. reCAPTCHA, on the other hand, has an audio test that allows blind people to freely navigate your site.
* It's Secure. reCAPTCHA is run by the original creators of CAPTCHA and has the highest security standards. Many other implementations of CAPTCHAs can be easily broken.
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
-Perry Mowbray (March 18, 2008, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

YES! THAT'S IT!

Check the credits at the bottom of the page:
Carnegie Mellon University

Perry Mowbray:
-Perry Mowbray (March 18, 2008, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

YES! THAT'S IT!

Check the credits at the bottom of the page:
Carnegie Mellon University
-Renegade (March 18, 2008, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Cool: I saw that too (just didn't paste it in)...

Nod5:
I share the resentment towards having to go through so many of these. Worst of all are forums that both have really hard captchas (often rotated similar letters like lL1i oO0) and that reset ALL entered information when there is some minor error when clicking submit.

But I still see them as necessary in many cases. Better (less bad) alternatives are hard to find.

Here's an excellent Wired piece on the captcha pioneer Von Ahn: http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/15-07/ff_humancomp?currentPage=1  Now you have an individual to mentally direct all your captcha frustration towards :D . The articles covers not only recaptcha but also many other examples where everyday necessary human task could be tapped into as a productive resource. That's what I love about the recaptcha project - you know that the captcha itself has some purpose (apart from blocking spammers) and that makes it less irritating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version