ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who else is sick of difficult word verifications on the web?

<< < (2/23) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
It is particularly annoying that they are creeping into generic forums that are widely used - surely developers of popular products should be aware of accessibility issues!
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2008, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

The balancing act they are walking is trying to allow as easy commenting as possible but exclude the machine generated spam (which can be huge and can cripple sites).

One alternative is to only open your site/forum to members, but this will rule out the casual commenter, which most people don't want to do.

Perry Mowbray:
Two other criticisms I have:

* They are always western alphabet/number biased
* They often have mixtures of numbers, upper and lower case characters. When you see, for example, 'l' is it the number one, the lower case L or the upper case i ??? Same goes for 'o' ?-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2008, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Both equally valid. I run b2Evolution as my blogging software and its Captcha implementation includes the ability to define the font and characters used. So, if my blog was mainly for non-western people I could choose a corresponding font.

Choosing the characters means that you could simply have A-Z, or A-Z + a-z, etc. Choosing the font makes a big difference when comparing upper case i and lower case l as well.

I'm not sure how much tweeking can be had with the larger blog sites?

Renegade:
CAPTCHAS are no longer effective. The technology for cracking them is well known and widely available.

The "low-tech" version of cracking them uses low-paid people in 3rd world countries to do it.

Audio versions are no better. The technology for cracking them is out there.

The largest problem is that the technology for cracking these is often BETTER than actual humans. In order to make it harder for spammers to crack things, CAPTCHAS need to be almost IMPOSSIBLE for YOU to solve.

This has been, and always will be, a game of cat & mouse. Unfortunately, the spammers are the cats. :(

Sick of it? That's an understatement...

zridling:
They're so bad I keep hitting refresh until I can finally read one of them. Absolutely annoying.

f0dder:
Hate 'em.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version