ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux and Windows andLinux

<< < (3/5) > >>

urlwolf:
one thing I'd like to know is: am I dooming my linux processes to only one core (have dual core)? I'm sacrificingone gb of memory to windows already. a core... well. it's too much. Fodder? Anyone?

f0dder:
In my tests, this linux install (with whatever system calls translations etc) runs ruby code about twice as fast as the native windows interpreter. No kidding.
--- End quote ---
Wtf? The native windows interpreter must suck bigtime, then... compiled with old version of GCC using cygwin translation libraries?

urlwolf:
yep, that's what I thought. No idea why that happens.
Do you know the answer to the 2 core questions?

f0dder:
I'm not sure I understood your question about cores - with coLinux, do you have to dedicate an entire core to it?

urlwolf:
sorry. the question is: if linux is 'just a process' from windows' perspective, then maybe it can live on one core only. That'd mean that you are wasting your second core (no matter how many linux processes are claiming the CPU) if you develop using andlinux on windows.

This is a theory; it may well be the case that you can use the two cores. I'm just not sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version