ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop

<< < (2/3) > >>

tinjaw:
Restore or migrate backup images to and from physical systems and virtual
environments (P2V, V2P and V2V).-StorageCraft
--- End quote ---

I have read that Vista uses a new HAL that allows you to backup on one architecture and restore on another. And virtual machines is easy, since it is always going to be the same architecture.

Since Win2K and WinXP still have the separate HAL I wonder if that works only for Vista.

Either way, ShadowProtect has been on my wish list for over a year.

Darwin:
I installed a demo of ShadowProtect and gave it a whirl. Two things happened...

First, backing up the 20GB of my root partition started and settled down to about a 45 minute backup, which is on par with Acronis doing a "new" backup of the same partition.

Second, it dawned on me (cue music from 2001: A Space Odyssey) that ALL of my machines run OEM installs of WinXP (and they're from two different vendors) and I can't transfer images between them anyway... I stopped the backup, killed ShadowPrtotect and uninstalled it.

I liked the interface, which is very similar to Acronis TrueImage, and certainly didn't give it enough of a workout to venture an opinion as to whether or not it's an improvement on Acronis, but Acronis works just fine as it is for me and I don't need the Hardware-Independent Restore so...

Right then. Darwin dashes off to uninstall Acronis Universal Restore - bloodied, humbled but not defeated!

howardb:
There have been freeware disk imagine software around for quite a while (e.g., DriveImage XML).  Recently Eusing introduced a new one, Todo Backup. They usually include an option to directly clone one disk to another.

Are there any reasonable ways to use these programs to transport a win xp OS plus applications from one PC to another (assume I have 2 valid windows licenses) ?

Dutchy:

After having had too many problems with Acronis' (Linux based) Recovery CDs not always recognizing my SATA drives, I have made the switch to a ShadowProtect-like program: Macrium Reflect.  AFAIK it doesn't have a "Universal Restore" kind of function, but as tinjaw already mentioned, you don't need that function anymore with Vista (and Win7).
The program is just as fast as ShadowProtect, but it's price is a lot friendlier (€ 29,99) and it does include a (one time only) downloadable WinPE based recovery CD (iso) in addition to it's standard supplied Linux based recovery CD (iso).

There is even a free version for personal use without the WinPE based iso and missing a few features.

Info:
http://www.macrium.com/default.asp

Free version Info (differences at the bottom of the page):
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Ron

longrun:
Recently Eusing introduced a new one, Todo Backup.
-howardb (December 11, 2009, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe you mean Easeus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version