ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop

(1/3) > >>

Darwin:
Dormouse asked a quesiton about Almeza MultiSet in this post. This coincided with me reading about StorageCraft's Shadow Protect this morning, and got me thinking. At $80 ShadowProtectDesktop is more expensive than Almeza on Bits du Jour BUT given its ability to perform a

Hardware-Independent Restore, which means you can take a backed-up image of a Windows system that uses one kind of hard disk controller and restore it to a new computer that uses a completely different hard disk controller
--- End quote ---

this is worth a serious look! I have Acronis TrueImage Echo Workstation with Universal Restore (I've never tried this feature), but from what I can gather it really doesn't work that well. Click on the link below for one reviewer's experience using StorageCraft (and the nightmare that resulted from trying out Roxio's BackOnTrack 3 on the same machine) and for the source of the quote, above.

Edward Mendelson on AppScout

StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop

I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually given StorageCraft a go... in particular, anyone who has experience using both it and the Acronis (or Almeza) offering. How does it compare?

Enquiring minds want to know. I want to know!

Darwin:
>:( Can't seem to post anything that requires going into the preview window... I've been trying for 25 minutes to edit the above post by adding a screeshot of the Edward Mendelson article and it just times out... repeatedly. I finally shut down my browser and restarted it but no joy. I gave up on that and tried to make a new post here, but it timed out too!

Question: will this make it...   :tellme: - Yes!

Update: a reboot solved all of my troubles  :-[

blarson:
I have used Acronis TrueImage since V6 and stopped when they went to V11. The deal-breaker was the necessity of using PE Builder to make the recovery disk. Recovery is the whole point and Acronis is able to save money by not paying Microsoft licensing fees. I still use TI10 on older machines, but ShadowProtect on new computers. On a new installation, I make a baseline backup by booting from the recovery disk and then backing up.

StorageCraft uses WinPE from Microsoft which is why you have to request a trial recovery disk - Microsoft charges for each download. The program is bullet-proof and costs the same as a 320GB drive. They provided the technology to PowerQuest for DriveImage7, which became Norton Ghost. I haven't had to test the Hardware Independent Restore (HIR) but I have done simple restores.

Darwin:
Thanks for the comment, blarson  :Thmbsup: I wish there were some words of comfort on net for those of us running ATI Echo with Universal Restore... I've never had a problem with backup and restore to the same hardware, but bought UR anticipating moving installations between machines. Sadly, I've yet to have any reason to do this (ie no new hardware in YEARS)  :(

blarson:
The old StorageCraft forum had some in-depth information on the subject:
http://forums.storagecraft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=352
http://forums.storagecraft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1827

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version