ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I need a search software that does not index, searches mp3, email, video, txt...

<< < (3/5) > >>

jgpaiva:
Maybe you should take a look at mouser's FARR. Lost of people use it for searching for files because it's very fast.
It still doesn't index the email, but maybe someday someone will make a plugin for your email program :)

Darwin:
Kartal, you could try PowerDesk Pro 6. I just noticed its "File Finder" entry in my context menu (I generally use Directory Opus as my file manager and Windows Explorer replacement) and put it through its paces. Wow! It works without indexing and is as quick as Search GT (and as accurate/thorough as well). An added bonus is that it can be further configured to search within files. I'm still playing around with this function and will report back with my results.

Best thing: PowerDesk is a very good File Manager, comes with Stellent Viewers, and can be had for the princely sum of $9.95 (presumably until PD 7 comes out). Thanks, Curt and cthorpe, for finding this for us last year (I've just confirmed that the discount is still active) :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
hmmm... update: Outlook pst files are listed as a file type and I assumed that this meant that File Finder could search within them. Wrong assumption - the file types tab simply provides a pull-down menu that is populated by all of the file types listed in your registry.

However, I am still very impressed by the quick searching in other file types and the fact that the results are optionally previewed using Stellent's viewers. Finally, File Finder is a standalone program - you are not invoking PowerDesk to run it (or, as in Search GT's case, Windows Explorer). The only niggle with this is that if you select "open containing folder" from the file menu, PowerDesk fires up instead of your default file manager. I'm sure that this behaviour can be modified, though.

Darwin:
Note: Dopus 9's built in search feature is equally as capable - when I tested it I failed to notice that I had search for Flash files specified, so thought that it wasn't finding anything  :o

Dormouse:
When I compare SearchGT with Dopus, SearchGT is much faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version