ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I need a search software that does not index, searches mp3, email, video, txt...

(1/5) > >>

kartal:
I am looking for a search engine that does not index(hate those gobblers) for 3 weeks. It should be able to search emails(thunderbird,, express), contacts, pdf, html, ascii based files, mp3s, videos etc. It should have some what a preview. I am ok for paying as long as it provides most of these functionality. And I am ok with search waiting times because I do not search 20 times a day. Best would be both indexing and non indexing options. I have found couple search programs like scanfs, index your files etc. But they lack email, contacts etc viewing options.

Any ideas?

Curt:
Forgive me for even asking, but just to make sure: You have of course already read all of our thread "What is the currently best Desktop Search software? « 1 2 ... 11 12 » "?

-
I am sorry that I cannot answer your question, as none of my favourites will search all you want.

jgpaiva:
I think you could to with an alternative file explorer.
An example would be xyplorer, which does not index and can preview all the stuff you mentioned. (at least, i think so :) )

edit: oops, i didn't read your post correctly. xyplorer can only search files, not emails or contacts :(

kartal:
Curt, I read most of that thread. But the thing is is that almost most of the desktop search apps indexes your files. Indexing is a huge resource hog, and creates alot of data.

Darwin:
There are some lightning fast non-indexing search tools, but I don't know of any that will search through e-mails. I'd be interested in such a beast as well!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version