ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easiest replacement for windows system restore?

(1/5) > >>

F.A.:
Only reason i want to replace it because generally it does not function when i need it most, very unreliable for me.
I don't have a burner to make backup cd's. What choises do i have?

Thanks Jacks

armatostr:
I use ERUNT
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
I'm very happy with it, has saved me enough times to earn a permanent place in my pc. By default it makes a backup the first time you turn on the computer during the day and you can choose were you want to save them.

cranioscopical:
generally it does not function when i need it most, very unreliable for me.
I don't have a burner to make backup cd's. What choises do i have?
-F.A. (March 13, 2008, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same situation here.  I'm one of the many for whom system restore is just unreliable.

I recently bought RollBack Rx from here: http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

RollBack Rx Does the job for me.  In one of those serendipitous moments, the day after installing RollBack
I did something really stupid so I had a hands-on test of it.  Repairing the damage from my mistake was
as simple as telling RollBack to, well..., roll back.  Saved me hours of frustration and paid for itself right there.

You need to know that RollBack only handles the root drive.  (It's supposed to be okay on multi-boot systems,
too but I have no first-hand experience of that.)  So, if you have more than one physical drive in your machine
it'll only handle the one from which you boot (though it will cover different partitions on that same drive). 
This works well for me as I have separate backups of other drives which are easy enough to restore and I
really want something to rollback items such as registry changes and unfortunate driver installations.  That being
so, covering changes that occur on C: (in my case) does the job nicely.

The company has other products that might suit you better, FirstDefense-ISR Workstation (discussed at length
here) and FirstDefense-ISR Rescue edition.

J-Mac:
The best and most reliable I've found is Acronis True Image.  For a similar application that is free, you could try DriveImage XML, but that is much slower and less versatile than Acronis. Besides, Acronis can be had pretty inexpensively.  Shop around and make sure to check both Newegg.com and Amazon.com.

Jim

cmpm:
Ive found the most efficient way is to have all your downloads and docs in my documents and sync it to a slave drive.
I don't load any programs in the slave except the ones that don't install and just unzip and you have the program.

I mean how can you tell if whatever is mess up is in the image or system restore? hiding in therte like the rest of troubles.

If I can't fix it easily through the easier ways, I have to revert to reformat and reinstall my programs. Takes longer, but I feel safer about it.

Geekstogo.com has some tools in their arsenal that are given for the specific situation that the advanced helpers use to fix problems, that I've never seen anywhere else.
Just a tip. Thry could be other places but I've never found them, though I haven't done a through search for them either.

In comparison to the other help forums, which do provide help, Ive found thast geekstogo solves more problems and cut through the waste of time stuff thst is out there.

Currently I use ccleaner, gladys utilities, regcleaner, atf-cleaner clean-up, malwarebytes, a-squared, avg-anti spyware, avg anti virus, superantispyware and runscanner when I run occasional maintenance.

For specific problems with a program, usually uninstalling or repairing the program fixes it,
Other then that I use geekstogo, which I haven't used for years.
Though I get many tips and leads to programs from it.
It's a very large forum with lots of helpers.
And they seem to have tools that that I have'nt seen anywhere else.
Though some require guidance from their staff to do it right.

Which reminds me, I got turned on to DC from GTG a long time ago.
One of the staff had Screenshot Capture in his signature.

Overall, I suppose clean-up by steven gould is very effective.
Though it's not recommended by GTG.
It used to be till it started causing problems with some users.
And they maintain a very safe method of operation for the general user.

So that's my take on the subject.
Except I agree that system restore is unreliable.
Though there are fixes to restore dates.
There is no guarantee that the problem is not in the ST files.
Though I keep it running just in case it works. :)
I have found traces and trojans in the system restore files, so that's why I don't specifically rely on it.

Surfing the net in search of different things, one runs across some malicious stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version