ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Drop Box lands

<< < (7/9) > >>

Armando:
thanks sri! Interesting.  :up:

tomos:
anyone using it for backup / versioning of files?

it claims to just update the difference to a file (partial file update) and at the same time keep a version of file for each change (for each save presumably)
Would that be a bit like incremental imaging in Acronis TI for example:-
saves file
saves changes
saves changes
etc
(not sure what happens there if part of file is deleted? presumably that part simply marked for deletion . not important anyways)

advantages:
less bandwith used - less S3 space to pay for

disadvantages(?):
not sure how secure/successful this would be - seems like a lot more chance of something going wrong if merging a file with 20 incremental updates (of course they could be differential, I'm not sure...)

justice:
It's really easy to sync folders outside the My Dropbox folder:

1. Install Link Shell Extension
2. Open two explorer windows and move the folder you want into the My Dropbox folder, then drag it back to the original location using the right mouse button
3. from the menu that pops up use Drop here... => Junction

The folder will remain in the same place and will be synced using dropbox using NTFS junctions. Immediately the files are available from the Web Interface. I've not checked the another DropBox installation with it yet.

With junctions it seems to work better to move the folder to your dropbox, and junction back to the original location, I think you'll find that new subfolders in the juntioned folder don't sync until you restart dropbox.
--- End quote ---

Armando:
Nice tip. Thanks Justice!

justice:
Another tip then, you can tell uTorrent to automatically load torrents from a certain folder. Also set it to delete torrent files after they're loaded. Make a seperate torrents folder and you can dump any .torrent files in there from any location and utorrent will download it while you're away or next time it starts.

That's what's excellent about DropBox it works even when only one pc is on at a time, unlike foldershare (that won't sync to a intermediate server).

Of course this will work with any other files that can be used by programs. Especially if you have some kind of autohotkey script to monitor a folder and start files if they have a certain extension.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version