ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What’s this "Linux" thing and why should i try it?

<< < (12/13) > >>

Dormouse:
If you are buying equipment for any distro of Linux you do need to make sure beforehand that there are drivers for that equipment. And that may mean asking around for what other people are using. Pretty much everything will work with XP (though you can't rely on everything being Vista compatible) so that is a definite advantage of Windows. But you can load the latest Kubuntu on top of Windows which would allow you to do both.

Edvard:
Sorry your experience came out bad, Matt.
I have an HP all-in-one as well (a 1315xi to be precise) and haven't had more than a hiccup or two.

I can't help but wonder, though... were you using the KDE tools to scan, or did you try Xsane straight?
That's what I'm using and it works fine.

Trust me, I've heard many stories like yours, and just as many success stories.
I've also heard similar stories under Windows, so the Redmond gorilla is not immune either.
Give it a try with the next version, and the best of luck to you.

Armando:
I've actually had numerous problems with my canon scanner under windows. Actually, I've had problems with my previous scanner too (both were Canons)!! It was driving me NUTS! Canon drivers can really be nightmarish. If they work, they work, but if there is some conflict with another device or something else in your system, hope to have a LOT of free time on your hands (to either bring the machine back to the store or... reinstall windows... hoping that'll fix it!)

Wireless and scanners are definitely a weak point under Linux, unfortunately. Printers are usually ok (eg : you can buy a fairely recent  Samsung ML-2510 printer, pretty cheap, linux compatible). As Edvard pointed out, it is usually possible to find hardware that'll work... even scanners, but that could mean not buying the latest and greatest... HP is generally moderately good at that; see  http://hp-linux.cern.ch/support/devscanner.php3 and http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ -- Hewlett-Packard's Officejet are usually pretty well supported.

MatthewSchenker:
If you are buying equipment for any distro of Linux you do need to make sure beforehand that there are drivers for that equipment. And that may mean asking around for what other people are using. ... But you can load the latest Kubuntu on top of Windows which would allow you to do both. -Dormouse (May 05, 2008, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I found that it's difficult to really predict everything.  However, in my experience, I did not have trouble with most hardware.  My video card, sound card, hard drives (internal and external), and other basics all worked great.  My wireless card worked just fine for Internet access (though not for file sharing).

Yes, I considered running Linux on top of Windows, but I have to admit I never understood the proper way to get a dual-boot working.  It was easier (and more fun) for me to just wipe out Windows!

I can't help but wonder, though... were you using the KDE tools to scan, or did you try Xsane straight?
That's what I'm using and it works fine.

Trust me, I've heard many stories like yours, and just as many success stories.
I've also heard similar stories under Windows, so the Redmond gorilla is not immune either.
Give it a try with the next version, and the best of luck to you.-Edvard (May 05, 2008, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was using Xsane, but I also tried so many other things I can't even remember what they were.  I could go back into the Kubuntu forum and take a look at all my posts to refresh my memory.  You know how it is: you get so deep into arcane little changes it's tough to remember it all months later.

No doubt, Windows is not perfect!!  I am using Vista now, and every day I see a new frustration with some stupid design element.  I'm constantly saying, "I like the way Linux does ____ better..."  Just working within the operating system itself, Linux is far superior to Windows (my humble opinion).

I've got one foot firmy in the Linux world.  I'm constantly checking Linux sites and looking at distribution news.  Believe me, I plan to go back to Linux as soon as possible.  Actually, I am planning to buy a cheap laptop just to use as a practice space for Linux distributions.  There is no question in my mind that Linux is moving in the right direction.

... HP is generally moderately good at that; see  http://hp-linux.cern.ch/support/devscanner.php3 and http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ -- Hewlett-Packard's Officejet are usually pretty well supported.
-Armando (May 05, 2008, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I like the way HP has that printer application built right into Kubuntu (I think it's also in other distributions).  In many ways, HP seems like a model of what other manufacturers should be doing, in terms of providing support for Linux.

However...I was not happy with those pages listing "compatible devices."  Sometimes, the information is wrong.  They will list devices as compatible that actually are only partly compatible, or they will be listed as compatible with conditions (like having to do a whole bunch of things to get them working).  I learned that the hard way!

Matthew

Dormouse:
Yes, I considered running Linux on top of Windows, but I have to admit I never understood the proper way to get a dual-boot working.  It was easier (and more fun) for me to just wipe out Windows!-MatthewSchenker (May 06, 2008, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I never really liked dual boot myself. VMs do seem like a good idea (for Windows on top of Linux & taking advantage of the Linux core).But what I was referring to was the ability of H Heron to be installed into Windows. No dual booting into one or the other. No going through a VM. Just Ubuntu working as an OS-type app in a Windows installation. Not really tested it out yet, but I do intend to install it on a Windows box and see how it goes (was rather waiting until the 8.04 bugs were reduced somewhat).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version