ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What’s this "Linux" thing and why should i try it?

<< < (10/13) > >>

f0dder:
Stoic Joker: I can't see much reason to use slackware these days, to be honest. If you want a relatively steep learning curve and enjoy getting your hands dirty, you should go with gentoo instead... it's more up-to-date and alive :)

dirhael: iirc Wubi uses NTFS root FS.

Dirhael:
-f0dder (March 27, 2008, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed it does, but the problem still remains that some programs and utilities will still probably not work as intended due to file permissions and other things that are handled different by the various file systems. Also, I don't really understand why anyone would want to take the performance hit.

In any case, if you're just playing around and testing linux I think you would be better off just running it in a virtual machine seeing as there are several completely free alternatives out there today :)

urlwolf:
-f0dder (March 27, 2008, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed it does, but the problem still remains that some programs and utilities will still probably not work as intended due to file permissions and other things that are handled different by the various file systems. Also, I don't really understand why anyone would want to take the performance hit.

In any case, if you're just playing around and testing linux I think you would be better off just running it in a virtual machine seeing as there are several completely free alternatives out there today :)
-Dirhael (March 27, 2008, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or using andlinux.
I don't know how they do it, but you do have an ext3 FS. at least, it says so in /etc/fstab.
And you save the install process of Wubi.

Edvard:
Actually my intent was to go with the Baptism-by-Fire concept ... Which makes Slackware an ideal choice. To that end, I've had quite a bit of fun with it (swearing included...). I just need to get the sound working and it will be completely functional.
-Stoic Joker (March 27, 2008, 06:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
Remember to add yourself to the "Audio" group (I assume you've already installed OSS and/or Alsa)
In fact, while you're at it, check to see what groups you may or may not or should be part of.

I'm a former Slackware victi... uh, user. I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve...

Dormouse:
I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve...-Edvard (March 27, 2008, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably developed quite capacious sleeves too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version