ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What’s this "Linux" thing and why should i try it?

<< < (9/13) > >>

Armando:
[...] fsutil reported the file system as dirty. I have then tried booting into Linux and NTFS-3g would not mount the drive but instead told me to start Windows and scan the disk for errors. You can force it to mount anyway, but you will never accidentally do so...thankfully :)
-Dirhael (March 26, 2008, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same experience here.

And I trust ntfs3g for "file sharing" with windows -- never had one problem, and never heard of file loss with it recently. Performance numbers might not look impressive, but in day to day usage, it's really not bad at all. Really.

(BTW : I thought ntfs-3g supported journaling... or at least partially...Just can't find where I read that... hummmm...)

zridling:
[Gothi[c]]: Like I said before, if you're relatively new to GNU/Linux, or if you're not very proficient in it, and you don't have the time to spend to learn a new system, then just stick to what you're using, instead of trying it for 2 days and then coming back to complain.
--- End quote ---

Ah, the first and most difficult hurdle of all Windows users — myself included — face. Not to give up when it doesn't work at first or doesn't behave like Windows. (The second is the general confusion between Linux, the kernel, and its various desktop environments, such as Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Enlightenment, etc.)

Stoic Joker, I applaud you trying to use Slackware again, but I hope you understand that Slackware hasn't made the progress in usability that other distros have, and you're trudging up GNU/Linux's steepest hill with that choice. I don't know anyone who recommends Slackware except for advanced or highly experienced Linux users. Consider a Debian-based distro like sidux if you want a GNU/Linux experience where many of those challenges have been resolved by other people.

whippy:
Hi , I recently put Freespire on my second hard drive now windows doesn't recognize it . It shows up under disk management as a unnamed drive and "healthy and active "  any ideas on what is wrong ?   Thanks
-whippy (March 26, 2008, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Windows can't read ext*/reiserfs/whatever other file system your Linux installation is using. Windows will only recognize NTFS and FAT file systems, nothing else. There's not really anything you can do about it. I know there is a driver out there somewhere that lets Windows read Ext2/3 but it was so unreliable and caused so many BSOD's for me that I wouldn't bother looking it up. On the positive side though, *nix can both read and write NTFS using NTFS-3g (now used by default in most distros).

EDIT: I almost forgot, if you are using Total Commander on Windows, you can use this FS plugin to gain read access to Ext*/ReiserFS partitions. It's not 100% perfect, but it will let you read almost anything on said file systems.
-Dirhael (March 26, 2008, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ok so how should I have done it ? Do I have to reformat the linux hard drive ?

Stoic Joker:
[Gothi[c]]: Like I said before, if you're relatively new to GNU/Linux, or if you're not very proficient in it, and you don't have the time to spend to learn a new system, then just stick to what you're using, instead of trying it for 2 days and then coming back to complain.
--- End quote ---

Ah, the first and most difficult hurdle of all Windows users — myself included — face. Not to give up when it doesn't work at first or doesn't behave like Windows. (The second is the general confusion between Linux, the kernel, and its various desktop environments, such as Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Enlightenment, etc.)

Stoic Joker, I applaud you trying to use Slackware again, but I hope you understand that Slackware hasn't made the progress in usability that other distros have, and you're trudging up GNU/Linux's steepest hill with that choice. I don't know anyone who recommends Slackware except for advanced or highly experienced Linux users. Consider a Debian-based distro like sidux if you want a GNU/Linux experience where many of those challenges have been resolved by other people.
-zridling (March 26, 2008, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually my intent was to go with the Baptism-by-Fire concept ... Which makes Slackware an ideal choice. To that end, I've had quite a bit of fun with it (swearing included...). I just need to get the sound working and it will be completely functional.

Dirhael:
Hi , I recently put Freespire on my second hard drive now windows doesn't recognize it . It shows up under disk management as a unnamed drive and "healthy and active "  any ideas on what is wrong ?   Thanks
-whippy (March 26, 2008, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Windows can't read ext*/reiserfs/whatever other file system your Linux installation is using. Windows will only recognize NTFS and FAT file systems, nothing else. There's not really anything you can do about it. I know there is a driver out there somewhere that lets Windows read Ext2/3 but it was so unreliable and caused so many BSOD's for me that I wouldn't bother looking it up. On the positive side though, *nix can both read and write NTFS using NTFS-3g (now used by default in most distros).

EDIT: I almost forgot, if you are using Total Commander on Windows, you can use this FS plugin to gain read access to Ext*/ReiserFS partitions. It's not 100% perfect, but it will let you read almost anything on said file systems.
-Dirhael (March 26, 2008, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ok so how should I have done it ? Do I have to reformat the linux hard drive ?
-whippy (March 27, 2008, 02:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

You haven't done anything wrong, it's just the way it works. Microsoft have their own file systems and Apple & *nix have others. Sure you can reformat your HDD if you want to access it from Windows again, but that means removing Linux. Technically it is possible to install Linux on an NTFS drive using the NTFS-3g driver but performance will suffer, you'll lose some rather important features that is very likely to stop your Linux installation from working as intended and I don't think you will find many (any?) distros that will set that up for you automatically in any case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version