ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What’s this "Linux" thing and why should i try it?

<< < (7/13) > >>

Edvard:
Tip:
More often than not, I have found answers to many problems on the Gentoo Wiki. Very good documentation at that.

It's not just applicable to Gentoo, these answers apply to most distros, with the only thing to watch being whether yours uses /usr/local (Red Hat, Mandriva, etc.) or /usr (almost everybody else...) for user-installed apps.

Lashiec:
Talking about tips sites, the Linux section of the Scot's Newsletter forums has a really nice list of useful tricks for those approaching Linux for the first time authored by the resident Linux expert there.

Stoic Joker:
Update: I now have file sharing working. I got a chat session going with an old friend (who's a Linux guy) from Iceland and he got me far enough to get the blasted thing to throw an error (Yahoo - finally something to work with) ... seems I'd managed to get smb.conf saved in the wrong location.

Only other issue was I was missing a package that controlled authentication.

zridling:
[Lashiec]: the Linux section of the Scot's Newsletter forums has a really nice list of useful tricks for those approaching Linux for the first time
--- End quote ---

Wow Lashiec, thanks! That's a long-running 5-year old thread, but if you peruse it, you'll find tons of great links, right from the start. I appreciate you sharing that, since I'd given up on Scot since he went all Mac on everybody about three years ago.

whippy:
Hi , I recently put Freespire on my second hard drive now windows doesn't recognize it . It shows up under disk management as a unnamed drive and "healthy and active "  any ideas on what is wrong ?   Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version