ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What’s this "Linux" thing and why should i try it?

<< < (6/13) > >>

urlwolf:
Ok, with people who *fear* the drivers hunting and spotty hardware support of linux... I really think that andlinux.org is the fastest way to test this OS. This is a linux kernel compiled for windows (!). It runs at almost native speed (that I can see; I don't have stats). It uses the windows drivers, so if your hardware works on windows, you are covered.

It's a fully working linux runing on windows. Not a VM (like VMware).

If you have 2GB HD and can spare 256mb of memory (or more) you have all you need to test linux.

The distro they use is ubuntu.

Often, being spared of the time-waste chasing drivers is the only thing people need to spend time on linux. This is much better than live-CDs (that, after all, are limited in speed by the constant reads of the CD).

urlwolf:
and if you were planning to use linux on a laptop, then you are right fearing drivers hunt!

wraith808:
I wasn't complaining about people trying GNU/Linux. I was complaining about people who don't have the time to spend to learn a new way of doing things, and instead of just saying they are just used to the OS they have been using and don't have the time to learn something new, they immediately dismiss the alternative as 'crap' because they aren't used to it.
-Gothi[c] (March 19, 2008, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I don't dismiss Linux as crap, I just put it in the category of things I want to have time to do but don't.  The very real situation (at least for me) is that I run my own business, which includes going to work at client locations, drumming up new business, and working on what I didn't get to finish at the client site at home.  Then, I still have to refresh my skills/learn new things as they come out, write articles, and then maybe get a little while to get off the computer and do something social.  I just don't have the extra hours in the day to learn it.  I suppose I should look for some kind of dummies book- don't laugh.  They are a great way to learn new things as you don't have to dig to find out the basics; you can then learn the rest as you use it.  But I just haven't been able to justify spending the time on it when I can be doing things that are more closely related to my earnings potential.

zridling:
Point taken, wraith808 — there's a learning curve for everything not immediately familiar. 2008 will see consistent strides towards overall Linux usability for us Windows users who either make the switch or just want to learn something new. But if you do venture to try it, stick with the more popular distros at first, such as:

* Linux Mint

* Mandriva

* sidux

* PCLinuxOS

* ZenWalk

* Fedora

This way, you're computing among the crowd.

Stoic Joker:
I tried RedHat (now Fedora) back when and it installed and ran fine, without incident, and worked...which was kind of ...boaring. So I flattened the box and took a crack at Slackware 9, which then proceeded to be much more of a challenge (which is what I was actually after).

My situation is much like wraith808's (While I don't own the company, I do tend to work 16hr days and dance on the edge of burnout constantly). But I still enjoy a good challenge.

I'm barely beginning to scratch the surface of understanding exactly how Linux of put together...so I'm not about to even attempt to form any opinions about how the OS is put together. I will however unequivocally state that their documentation is pathetically lacking in concise information. But that's OK ... I'm having fun!

The Slackware VPC is still sitting here, running on my desktop, taunting me, I swear I can hear it laughing. I could just delete it, but that would be admitting defeat ... Which I can not do. I will continue the fight until I force the evil beast to bend to my will, and only then will I decide if the fight was worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version