ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What’s this "Linux" thing and why should i try it?

<< < (3/13) > >>

f0dder:
Win2000 is NT5.0, XP is NT5.1.

And just because there's similarities between OS/2 and NT doesn't mean NT was based on OS/2 - although there's obviously some influence there... and heavy influence from VMS :). Btw, NT can run other subsystems than just Win32 - posix, for instance. And iirc there was some OS/2 support as well?

Gothi[c]: I sorta prefer config files to GUI config, actually, my problem with linux is that there's so many different incoherent formats, and that files are different places on different distros, despite that unified hierarchy project whatever.

As opposed to a sane process of keeping your app and config files to your own directory structure, no, it is not.
--- End quote ---
Ho humm, I still think the registry is a better idea than <whatever> config file format. There should have been better/easier hive-file support though, so you could place the hivefile next to the application for portable apps.

Edvard:
Geez folks, use Linux or don't. It's all a matter of personal taste and what you're willing to do to get work done.

Personally Linux does exactly what I want it to do when I need it done. Period. Windows fights me the whole way taking me from dialog to menu to check box with no results until I finally give up and Google it anyways, and 90% of the time I find NO answer for my Windows problem and I end up saying under my breath "If this was Linux I'd be DONE".

I'm taking my GNU and going home now...
 >:(

Lashiec:
I'm taking my GNU and going home now...
 >:(
-Edvard (March 13, 2008, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, we accept the Tux Droid as a pet ;D

urlwolf:
I agree re: productivity and messing around with linux.
Mostly drivers/low level stuff.

Although people who cross the threshold (their sysadmin-fu becomes really good) do get more done compared to windows users... a point I have never reached.

If you _Must_ use a linux app (e.g., fish terminal, ksh, package management for some OSS) on windows, the best way to go without  fiddling with drivers is this:

http://www.andlinux.org/index.php

Really cool.

zridling:
Kudos to f0dder for the Dave Cutler reference. Haven't heard that name in ages.

Gothi[c]: I don't think any one should push one other into any one operating system. Each OS has it's pro's and con's to different people. Right now there is more windows users on dc than there is GNU/Linux fellows, and I'd love to see DC become a place where both can share their experiences in peace.... Especially now that cross-platform applications are becoming more common and widespread, there is no reason for that not to be possible.
--- End quote ---

This is where I'm at. While I deeply dislike Vista's heavy footprint, I realize the OS is a tool of familiarity first, choice second. Once you grow accustomed to one, you tend to stick with it, much like the type of toothpaste you use. And so far, DC members have been overly kind to my GNU/Linux newbie talk for the past year. Windows will always be more popular, but the point of GNU/Linux is not popularity, trust me. The reason I've stuck with it is that now that I'm past the beginner stage, it's become a lot of fun.

[thank you!]  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version