topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Calendarscope (annoying/paranoid license procedure)  (Read 5855 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Calendarscope (annoying/paranoid license procedure)
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:16 PM »
So, I bought Calendarscope exactly 3 months ago.  Today, it stopped working, saying by registration code was not valid, contact the company for a new one.  Then, I realized that they sent me a new license code a couple of weeks ago, so I had to use that one for it to work.  Yeah, if the license key goes bad, the program stops working completely, and if I didn't remember about the new code email, I would've not been able to use the program until I got a response back from the company.
The whole process is a little annoying for a simple calendar program.  I mean really, it reeks of paranoia.  I don't see why I have to enter a new license code every three months, that shouldn't be my problem, especially if I buy the program.  I can see how mouser offers free license for his software that need to be periodically renewed (for free I might add) or you can buy a permanent one with any donation.  That makes sense.  You don't do that kind of behavior for purchased licenses.
And on top of it, I feel Calendarscope is a little overpriced.  I don't have a problem with that since I was willing to pay it for the best program of its kind, but still, for that price, don't cause inconveniences for me.
Overall, a big thumbs down to their licensing scheme.  Furthermore, the license only allows one year free upgrades (which probably means maybe 1 or 2 minor upgrades over the course of the year).  Then, you have to pay FULL price, not even a discounted price, for subsequent upgrades.  It's just a calendar program!

Very Lame.

I can't wait until Pierre implements the calendar module in SQLNotes.  It should work as well as Calendarscope hopefully, if he implements all the features.  I'll gladly pay $100 for SQLNotes.

ad-min

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Calendarscope (annoying/paranoid license procedure)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:13 PM »
Calendarscope is a great program but I agree with you that it is really overpriced (there should be at least two years of free upgrades).

However, as they write on their homepage, you don't have to pay the full price again if you decide to upgrade (I think the discount is 50%):
After the first 12 months, if you would like to upgrade to a newer version, you will be able to do so after purchasing a discounted upgrade license (and you will get another year of free upgrades with the purchase). Of course, you are in no way obligated to upgrade to the new versions: you may continue using the version that you have purchased for as long as you like, if it works for you well enough, without paying any additional upgrade fees. [http://www.calendarscope.com/faq.html]