ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The MacBook Air is So Thin…

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
How does Steve Jobs do it time and again?
-icekin (March 17, 2008, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Come to MacWorld! Free Kool-Aid for everyone! ;)

-Renegade (March 17, 2008, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

is that spiked perchance... :)

Curt:
This Lenovo looks like something we have seen before:

“Everything else is just hot air.”...  ;D

Curt:
Fragile Brave New World:
The MacBook Air is So Thin…
[ Invalid Attachment ]-Curt (March 12, 2008, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

but it is getting even worse:

In 2 Minutes You Can…

Posted: 28 Mar 2008 10:01 AM CDT

In 2 Minutes You Can… …brush your teeth, grab a cup of coffee, email a friend, or hack a MacBook Air. Just like last year the CanSecWest conference is currently going on, and tons of hackers cram in to see who can be the first to hack one of the laptops that are provided. The first nerd person to forcefully gain control of one out of the three laptops not only takes home that laptop, but also receives a worthwhile $10,000 cash prize.

The three laptops that were being attacked were a VAIO VGN-TZ37CN running Ubuntu 7.10, Fujitsu U810 running Vista Ultimate SP1, and a MacBook Air running OSX 10.5.2. On the first day of the contest the rules were kind of strict, and the hackers could only go after the computers over the network. There was a strong stench of failure in the air that day.

Then yesterday they decided to let go a bit and let the hackers direct the contest organizers to a website that they created to run malicious code. Charlie Miller, the first one to hack the iPhone last year, was all over it and almost immediately gained access to the MacBook Air. It took him a whopping 2 minutes to get into the system, but no one knows exactly how he did it because he was forced to sign a nondisclosure agreement. Many expect that the vulnerability lies in Apple’s Safari browser.

In case you’re wondering, contestants like Charlie had to follow these guidelines for their attack:

* You can’t use the same vulnerability to claim more than one box, if it is a cross-platform issue.
    * Thirty minute attack slots given to contestants at each box.
    * Attacks are done via crossover cable. (attacker controls default route)
    * No physical access to the machines.
    * Major web browsers (IE, Safari, Konqueror, Firefox), widely used and deployed plugin frameworks (AIR, Silverlight), IM clients (MSN, Adium, Skype, Pigdin, AOL, Yahoo), Mail readers (Outlook, Mail.app, Thunderbird, kmail) are all in scope.

So congrats to Charlie. Apple… get to work! ;)

CanSecWest [via PC World]
Thanks to CoryC for the tip!
Part of the image via bid burglar!

Copyright © 2008 CyberNet |
--- End quote ---

tamasd:
This didn’t get him out of being responsible for the computer though. Newsweek, the company he works for, is now responsible and is paying Apple for an $1800 computer that is so thin, it vanished without a trace.
-Curt (March 12, 2008, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hillarious. Smart marketing. No matter whether it's a real story or premade/injected by Apple marketing execs, I bet neither the reporter nor the Newsweek paid $1800. I like it  8)

Darwin:
Just to comment on Curt's post about the Lenovo from March 22... it's quite a bit thicker in cross section than the Mac, but it DOES have an optical drive, USB ports. Somewhere I saw a video comparing the two and the reveiwer kept stressing that the Lenovo is streets ahead of the Mac... except in the looks and thin departments! He summed it up by saying that he couldn't see why anyone would go with the Mac, given a choice. I'll have to find that video review... it was probably PCMag or something, but I've no idea at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version