ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

prevent users from loging into certain workstations on a domain

<< < (2/3) > >>

techidave:
It seems like I have some info I can send to you or some web links but all that is on a different computer that may be of some help.  I will send you some screen shots of how I join them to the domain also.  That may be more useful than telling you.

the answer to your last question is no.  If its a member of the domain then you would have to unjoin it from the domain for it to be part of a workgroup.  Unless there is another solution that I am not aware of.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks that would be really useful.

techidave:
There is a wizard in w2k3 called "managing your server" that helps with the setup.  Just take it in the order shown in the wizard and you will be fine.  Be sure to set a static DNS on the server itself.

see the screenshots that shows how I join them to a domain.  XP by default, is automatically set to WORKGROUP and that will need to be changed as shown.  I do not use the network change ID button its always the change button.

the second attachment shows the name of the domain, in my case doman.local.

this site has some good info on it also: http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/38996/how-can-i-use-windows-server-2003s-manage-your-server-wizard.html

If someone could point me in the right direction for instructions on how to place pictures in the post, I would be forever grateful.

Hope this makes sense to you.

techidave:
woops!  I forgot the second screen shot.  :-[

techidave:
Double woops! :-[ :-[  the name of our domain is domain.local but you can call it anything you like.

Once  you type in the name of your domain in the text box it will come up and ask you for a user name and password that is necessary to complete this task.  You can use the one you set up when you setup the server.  It takes a minute to two to complete this task and then after answering ok 2 times you will have to restart your workstation.

This page here says it a lot better than I did above.
http://www.visualwin.com/AD-XP/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version