ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Sauerbraten Server Updates and DonationCoder map - Sauerbraten FPS fun

<< < (2/12) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
My mistake, and I have edited my original post to reflect this: The game + patch is about 216MB, not 400. I have no clue where I got the 400MB from. :huh:

Lashiec:
WOW! Looks really nice, I'm going to download it. Maybe I won't play it online, but I'm sure it'll provide some mindless fun by itself. Now, can people stop making OSS FPS? I have various sitting in the HDD, and there are tons more out there! :)

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, we are almost ready to rock with the dedicated server!!! :D

The server (my own old Gateway PC) will be running a dedicated Sauerbraten server 24/7 (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MAINTENANCE AND SERVICE PACK 3/UPDATE INSTALLATION) from now on. Use Hamachi to connect (the Hamachi name will be something like BrandonSauerServer or something, so you can tell the difference from it and me).

For anyone curious about the technical details of what the box has in it...

Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz CPU (don't remember core name atm, but it was the original P4 core)
768MB DDR RAM (unknown speed)
Western Digital 120GB HD @ 7,200RPMs
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP 8x 512MB
Windows XP SP2 (soon to be SP3) w/ all updates

I keep nothing but LogMeIn running on the box, so that if I need to I can access it remotely (if I am at school or something) to work on it. Nothing sits in the tray, and a whole 5 user processes run on it (3 graphics card, explorer, and something else from Windows that I can't remember atm). Against all odds and hardware limits, it is VERY fast, and has taken more than its share of beatings from the family over its lifespan. Do not underestimate this thing as a "server".

I will have the server up and running in approximately an hour. It may take longer though- USB install via USB 1.1 isn't what I would call "speedy".

-Brandon

P.S.: I have no issues with people taking Master status of the server, however I don't want anyone abusing their power. Also, no one may take administrator status of the server except me (that is assuming you are able to, I don't know how secure the game engine is- supposedly only the localhost can become an admin, but...). I am doing this voluntarily. Just have fun and play nice. :)

EDIT: I have added an administrator password as well as a server description (DonationCoder), and Hamachi has been installed. The server will be up in about 5 minutes. Come and join the fun!

wreckedcarzz:
A major update to the DonationCoder map: I have been working solo on a beta version of the map for a week or so now, asking outsiders to help me make things for the map, as well as just letting people build freely and then using what they build as a basis for something that can be integrated into the map.

The result:

* The RED base now has a much improved armory, with hidden exit (thanks to Deozaan)
* The text DONATIONCODER.COM is now lit up amazingly on the highest lighting settings (Deozaan again)
* The bases have new textures
* There is both artificial and sunlight effects (ask how to turn them on if you join the server; a recent PC with good CPU is recommended for higher options) - p3lb0x helped with armory lighing
* There is a battle arena/viewing location for large scale battle viewing and close quarters battles in the arena. The arena has a small floor with lava pit and 2 connecting bridges down the center of the rectangular pit, with a similar configuration at the top, and the roof ledges can be used for battles as well, along with the hallways. The arena viewing area windows are great for sniping, too ;))
* There is a small water channel (I should say tiny) that provides water to the community pool next to the arena. This can be used strategically to hide, however it is easily ambushed...
* An AFK room sits on the side of the map, between the two bases. This room is meant as a safe haven for AFKers. A teleport allows escape.
* The map is now "bordered" via lava.
* P3lb0x's castle has been relocated due to the battle arena (don't worry, it is the exactly way it was before ;))
* The RED and BLUE team letters are now coated in glass (to prevent death from lava and an advantage via water).
* The underground water tunnel has had a MAJOR repair (HUGE thanks to Deozaan for helping me on that!!!) and has beentotally redone.
* The map can be extended at any time via removal and replacement of the outer lava.
The dedicated server is still up, and I will be on for most of this week (SPRING BREAK!!! :D). Drop in if you can (just remember to set your name)!

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz:
Just an FYI: The server will be down for about 6-8 hours starting now, due to a power shortage where I live (it would seem some individual has collided their vehicle into a local power generator). So to help keep the whole house running and keep the server PC from harm, I am simply going to shut it down. It will be back up later today. :Thmbsup:

-Brandon

EDIT: Server back online - it killed my computers MAC address data (the server) so I had to fix the DMZ on the router, but it appears all is working now. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version