ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

the award for most clueless pc user ever - my candidate.

<< < (4/18) > >>

nudone:
 ;D

i'm sure we've all heard the saying "if ain't broke don't try to fix it" or something like that.

i think something similar is appropriate for people afraid to try anything on their computer, i.e. "if it ain't working, don't try to click it" - or something like that.

hmm, that's actually the opposite of what they should be doing though, maybe "if it ain't working, just click it" or "if it ain't working, please, just have a try, go on, just click it - it won't explode, believe, i'm not lying to you".

Deozaan:
;D

i'm sure we've all heard the saying "if ain't broke don't try to fix it" or something like that.

i think something similar is appropriate for people afraid to try anything on their computer, i.e. "if it ain't working, don't try to click it" - or something like that.

hmm, that's actually the opposite of what they should be doing though, maybe "if it ain't working, just click it" or "if it ain't working, please, just have a try, go on, just click it - it won't explode, believe, i'm not lying to you".
-nudone (March 07, 2008, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with this is that it's those stray clicks the really mess them up. I don't know how my grandma does it, but she gets her task bar docked to the side or top of the screen, gets her display turned sideways (for monitors that can rotate), gets her resolution changed... All kinds of things that seem impossible for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I don't know why people think they never need to read anything on the computer. A dialog could pop up saying "Warning! Are you sure you want to install this virus that will wipe out your computer completely and release a new strain of the black plague which will destroy humanity?" and someone would just click "okay" because they never read those things.

mwb1100:
I regularly get people calling the computer the "hard drive".
-Daleus (March 07, 2008, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes...  in my household, the computer is now called the hard drive, the monitor is called the computer, and I will never forgive Microsoft calling their web browser "Internet Explorer" when there was already something called "Explorer" in their OS.

Oh, and whenever I get a "tech support call" (that's someone yelling down the stairs for help), my first step is to ask if they've restarted the machine.  Works 90% of the time.

Deozaan:
Oh, and whenever I get a "tech support call" (that's someone yelling down the stairs for help), my first step is to ask if they've restarted the machine.  Works 90% of the time.
-mwb1100 (March 07, 2008, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's how it was for me when I still lived with my mom.

Dell[a]:
i have a friend who used to work in tech support. I said that there were so many people out there who asked the strangest of questions. Like this one woman who called cuz she did not know where to put a disk. and when he told her, she was like "ohhhhhhh, i thought that was a cup holder"

though i really cant laff at stuff like that. Cuz i do some really stupid stuff on the computer and get all frustrated and need gothic to "fix" it for me. which usually is just one click. heheeh.... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version