ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Making a donation ...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
PS   Now stop reading these forum messages and get those websites finished!
--- End quote ---

Gonna take more than finishing ....

I really want to scrap them and start over ... somehow I think it is going to be a while before it happens ...

NickW:
Carol,
What's wrong with them?
What do you want to show?
Nick

Carol Haynes:
The content never appeared (a lot of the stuff there has sat for two years or more).

I have a lot of ideas for stuff I'd like to put on Playoutdoors - but I'd really like it to become a community thing. That's why when it is up and running I am going to include a better (no crap) forum, based on the same software as this one, and a 'Wiki' so that people can contribute their experiences and stuff that interests them. Lairdswood is more personal - really just stuff I am interested in, but again I would like it to grow.

Ideally I'd like to pull the two sites together so there will be a common forum structure and interlinks between the two.

In order to do this I want to change how the site is designed to make it more content driven, and easier to update and organise.

Trouble is I am learning as I go along ... so it all takes for ever, and generating enough content takes a long time too ...

NickW:
Carol,
For anything other than a standard static "here are my holiday" pictures site, going down the content-driven is definitely the best thing to do.
I think it's a toss-up between development and content
 - being a programmer I prefer the development of the code which will drive the site and it's features than I do the entering of the content
 - but without any content it's going to be a pretty boring site!
I'm currently working solo on an online catalogue and also an online shop and the above is definitely the case so I find myself concentrating on the wrong things  i.e.  code.
Have you decided which language you are going to use for the back-end code?
Or maybe you could just go down the site-builder route - definitely a lot quicker though less freedom.
Ok, got to get on. Have a good evening,
Nick

Carol Haynes:
Have you decided which language you are going to use for the back-end code?
-NickW (October 19, 2005, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was toying with learning ASP. I use Adobe GoLive which has good support for ASP but I'm not sure I have the time (or the energy) to learn it.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

I may just go down the route of linked BLOG, Wiki and Forum, and other pages using CSS.

Given that the Wiki and Forum software I am playing with are PHP based I suppose I should really get into using PHP !!

Mouser (if you read this) what was the Blog software you mentioned to me today - I forgot to note the name down?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version