ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stage6 closing for ever on Thursday

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
Part of the attraction is that you don't need to download from Stage6 (or Veoh, etc.). You just click play. Simple.

+100 for tinjaw.

The petition means nothing practically. If it gains media attention, it may have some very tiny miniscule small influence on the studios to actually open up to new business models.

My suspicion is that a lot of these video sites got into the business expecting ad revenue to actually mean something (which I think is rather naive) and that it would tie them over until the studios caved into a new distribution models and embraced the Internet. That isn't happening in any really meaningful way.

There are LOTS of ways to monetize things, but the status quo is safer than trying out unproven business models. The dot com bubble burst in 2000 showed that the ad revenue model and the "eye-balls" model isn't fully developed or stable yet. That is a real concern for the content producers that have to pay for the production of the shows. How do they get sponsors? How do they sell? How do they distribute? The current movie theatre and cable TV model is proven and works.

What they don't really understand is that piracy isn't the big concern that they think it is. i.e. If you can expand your market by 10x, but you lose 50% of that market to piracy, you've still increased your revenues by 5x. Maximizing revenue per unit isn't always the best solution, and isn't the best way to increase revenues for a lot of things. (It works for high-end products where there is a limited audience, but not for mass market products.)

It's too bad that Stage6 is closing. But hey, it's been a fun ride while it lasted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version