ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Disable Start Menu

(1/2) > >>

mwfuss:
Is anyone able to suggest a way to permanently disable the Start Menu button from appearing on the taskbar on Windows XP? I have been using the program StartKiller from Tordex to do this, but there seem to be some issues between this program and Dexpot [when I change desktops, the Start Menu button reappears on the taskbar for the newly accessed desktop]. I never use the Start Menu and I think that it would be great to be able to remove it altogether. Some may think this request strange, but it just comes down to a matter of personal preference and my preference is to disable the Start Menu. My thanks in advance to anyone who proves to be of assistance.

jazper:
Pretty simple to do actually in a few lines of code.

This is delphi code to do it:

--- Code: Delphi ---FHandle := FindWindowEx(windows.FindWindow('Shell_TrayWnd', ''), 0, 'Button', nil); // find the Start Button    ShowWindow(FHandle, SW_SHOW); // visible    ShowWindow(FHandle, SW_HIDE);  // not visible
I could throw this code in a "service" application that would always run and check to see if it's visible, and if it is set it to Hide....what you think?

mwfuss:
jazper,

That would wonderful. I am not a programmer and I would not know where to begin on my own.

jgpaiva:
I think this is even one of the options in gpedit.msc..
[edit] apparently, it isn't :) [/edit]

Carol Haynes:
I haven't played with AHK for a while but looking at the Delphi fragment above that looks like something that would be very easily acheivable with an AHK script - and you could have a hotkey to toggle START on and off when you need it. The compiled AHK script could simply be added to your Startup group.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version