ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kodak (Complaint)

<< < (2/9) > >>

Deozaan:
If you didn't already realise, it looks like you've just been sent a repaired model from someone else.
-justice (February 28, 2008, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah in my e-mail to them I said that if it was refurbished it was very misleading and unethical.

The rest of this post is how I understand things to be in the UK. Here in the UK, as within two months a fault developed with the camera, you can argue that the fault was a production fault and you should get a brand new replacement, not a repaired one. Also because of the manufacturing error you shouldn't be out of pocket to return the camera. Finally, you are only dealing either with Bestbuy where you got the camera, or with Kodak. It probably would have been best to take the camera back to bestbuy and let them handle it, in retrospect.
--- End quote ---

In the US, typically retail stores have a 30 day warranty where if a product fails within 30 days you take it back to the retail store you got it from. After those thirty days, most products have a 1 year manufacturers warranty, so you need to call the manufacturer for a replacement.

However you have nothing to do with the repair company so Kodak should be chasing it up and you could sent them the receipts for the phone calls and shipping / handling. They could argue that the period between the fault occuring and sending the camera away was substantial which would weaken your case a little and add frustration for you so be prepared for that.-justice (February 28, 2008, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, they could argue a lot of things, but even still the camera is within the 1 year warranty period. That's why I didn't have to pay for the repairs. But I did have to pay shipping, which involved insurance.

Then there's the issue of any pictures that were on the camera that you sent off..
--- End quote ---

There were no pictures on the camera when we sent it to them. We removed all accessories, such as the SD card, the battery, the wrist strap, etc. All we sent was the camera, and we hadn't taken any photos on the internal memory. I didn't even know it had internal memory until we got it back and snapped a few photos and videos testing it and realized it was out of space already.. And the camera hadn't even been in a Wal-Mart, especially not behind some counter snapping photos of nothing. It was like someone was just playing with it and took a couple shots like what you'd do with a camera that was on display out of box somewhere.

cranioscopical:
And what does it say about the town you live in if there's not even a Wal-Mart there?
-Deozaan (February 28, 2008, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

That the residents have critical discrimination?

Anyway, I might be able to find a "news on your side" but I'm not really sure if there is something like that in this area since I don't watch the news. Any tips on how I could find some consumer advocacy group in my area?

--- End quote ---

I think I'd look online, or through your local phone book, tosee if any such agencies operate out of your state capital (Boise I believe).
You could try contacting the Public Relations branch of Kodak and see if you make any headway there.
Again, though, how much of your life do you want to devote to this?  I'd let it go and move on.

ultimately I see myself walking away from this without much nice to say about Kodak.
--- End quote ---

Given the time that's elapsed and the distances involved, that seems the pragmatic choice.

Darwin:
Have to agree with Chris on this one (about walking away) but would add that you can walk away with a lesson (that we should all take note of): always record the serial number of the equipment that you send off for repair. Prefereably a photograph. I don't know if this would have made a difference in this case or not, but it would bring peace of mind...

FWIW, I think that it is ridiculous to send you an item that has clearly been heavily used and soiled. If you decide to smear Kodak over this, they've brought it on themselves!

Deozaan:
Have to agree with Chris on this one (about walking away) but would add that you can walk away with a lesson (that we should all take note of): always record the serial number of the equipment that you send off for repair. Prefereably a photograph. I don't know if this would have made a difference in this case or not, but it would bring peace of mind...

FWIW, I think that it is ridiculous to send you an item that has clearly been heavily used and soiled. If you decide to smear Kodak over this, they've brought it on themselves!
-Darwin (February 28, 2008, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did record the serial number. It was required as part of the RMA process. That's why I became suspicious of receiving a refurbished product when I noticed the serial number sticker looked as though it had been peeled away. It has the same serial number, but it looks as though it may have been removed from my original camera and placed on a refurbished one. I'm also suspicious because of the work order saying what the problem was and what the solution was, it doesn't sound like what the problem was at all!

Of course, I can't prove that it's a refurbished model, but it is highly suspect.

Deozaan:
And what does it say about the town you live in if there's not even a Wal-Mart there?
-Deozaan (February 28, 2008, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

That the residents have critical discrimination?
-cranioscopical (February 28, 2008, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D I thought I might receive a comment like this after saying that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version