ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

idea: give double space the same function as \ (backslash)

(1/2) > >>

Nod5:
Today we can narrow a search in FARR to folders only by adding "\" (backslash). Example: compare a search for "program" and "program\"

But on some keyboard layouts the backslash is tricky to reach. For instance, on my swedish keyboard I must press AltGr + (plus key) to get a backslash. Since the space bar is easy to reach on all keyboard layouts I've seen, why not let a double space do the same thing as the backslash currently does? Of course if the user has a lot of files with double spaces in their names then this idea would mean trouble. But I suspect file naming is extremely uncommon.

edit: alternatively, multiple spaces could be tied to some other function. For example, FARR could see any sequence of spaces that is even (2,4,6...) as identical as the +sall command, but see uneven number of spaces as a deactivation of that command. That way, the user could very quickly toggle the +sall functionality on and off. Other uses are possible also I guess but the double space sequence seems so quick and easy to remember that it should be used for something! :)

mouser:
what about / key, is that easier to type?

tomos:
what about / key, is that easier to type?
-mouser (February 26, 2008, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
on german keyboards yes - need right alt key here too for "\"

Nod5:
/ is shift 7 on my layout, which is even more tricky since it takes two hands. \ (AltGr +) can be pulled off with one hand at least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Swedish.2FFinnish

Neither \ or / is of course extremely slow to hit or anything. But the advantage of double space is not so much speed as not having to look at the keys. Many people find the space key immediately (regardless of what keyboard layout they use I would imagine) but many need to look for \ or / .

AndyM:
Wouldn't a short autohotkey script limited to FARR being the active window work? 
Assign any key you want to "\".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version