ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB Flash Drives: What to look for or avoid.

<< < (3/6) > >>

nosh:
Thanks everyone!

I was thinking along the lines of Kingston/Transcend/Sandisk but after reading Lashiec's links & some online reviews I've decided on the Corsair Flash Voyager 8 GB (some interesting links to flash storage info on their home page.)
[external review]
It has excellent ratings everywhere I've looked & seems to be ahead of most on both speed and durability. They also have a 10 year warranty, which is twice the norm. As Tinjaw mentioned, the actual warranty period is not significant these days but it does say a lot about the manufacturer's confidence in their product. The only thing that sucks about it is the ghastly blue! Methinks it's well worth a slight premium. :)

PS: I rarely lose things which is strange coz I'm very absent-minded. Before I installed a security software on my phone I used to have a startup note identifying me as a member of the police force. :P

qwibbles:
The Flash Voyager GT is red ... and nice and quick. (It costs more but looks better :-))

nosh:
Was reading a review about it in another tab as you posted. I'm trying to figure out how the GT makes it different - not paying more just coz it's red. It does look better but still - red and black with a _yellow_ company logo & a _blue_ LED? :'( This thing is more colorful than Richard Simmons!

qwibbles:
Sorry for the delay. The GT is faster than the normal voyager ... (so I have read in other reviews).

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1097/2/page_2_testing/index.html

I own both a Flash Voyager 8GB and Flash Voyager GT. The GT is much faster.

I have never had and issue to date using them. And vista works using the Voyager GT for 'Ready Boost' - although I am not sure the ready boost really does anything .... but that's another post.

nosh:
Thanks for the link. I'll obviously take your word on the speed difference since you own both but here's something interesting I read in another review...

The red Flash Voyager GT that landed on my desk was pretty much the same as the blue Flash Voyager that was sent to me in February. If you can find yourself a blue regular Flash Voyager manufactured toward the end of 2006 you might get lucky as you will be paying the price for a regular Flash Voyager, but actually getting a Flash Voyager GT!
--- End quote ---
Source

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version