ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XPPro SP3

<< < (4/19) > >>

Dirhael:
Ahh, so you need a key to the code? As I posted previously, I have SP3 v.3311 and that's the code for RC2. How will I know when I get RC3?
I was expecting a notation in the properties sheet that SP3, RC2, v.3311, or something similar, had been installed. Not being privy to the coding system used I had hoped that SP3 was installed and I was done with it. Too much to hope for I guess!

:(
-Cuffy (March 07, 2008, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

That I can understand, but the thing is that the service pack did not show up on Windows Update by itself. You had to actively seek it out and when doing so, it would have been a good idea to read what the website you (should) have gotten it from said. I mean, the download page on Microsoft's site repeatedly refers to it as "Windows XP SP3 RC2." Even the file you downloaded has "Release Candidate 2" in the filename (the standalone installers does not, but even so the page is still plastered with information on what it is you are about to download) ;)

In any case, I don't think there will be any more release candidates of SP3. Should there be one however you would know that you got it because just like in the past, you would have to actively seek it out.

Cuffy:
Thanks for the information however we're still skirting my question.
I knew what I signed up for, I knew what I was doing when I ran the enabling script, and knew what I consented to download and install.
What I don't know is what IS installed??
My properties sheet says, as does yours, that SP3, v.3311, was installed. Not being psychic I have no way of knowing that when decoded that means SP3, RC2. It seems to me to be a simple matter to report that SP3, RC2, build 3311, was installed when that in fact is what was done. Problem solved.
Someone in a forum reporting that I couldn't have SP3 because it hasn't been released yet is not information I can enter in a properties sheet. Maybe MS made a mistake was another comment. Entirely possible!
Just the facts ma'am, that's all I expect from MS. Plain and simple facts would answer all my questions.

:)

Dormouse:
Just the facts ma'am, that's all I expect from MS.
-Cuffy (March 07, 2008, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see. A visitor from a parallel universe.

mwb1100:
My properties sheet says, as does yours, that SP3, v.3311, was installed. Not being psychic I have no way of knowing that when decoded that means SP3, RC2. It seems to me to be a simple matter to report that SP3, RC2, build 3311, was installed when that in fact is what was done. Problem solved.-Cuffy (March 07, 2008, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

For Betas, I would agree, and for betas Microsoft sometimes (unfortunately, not always) does make the fact that installed software is a beta readily obvious.  But for Release Candidates, the idea is that if no drop-dead problems are found the RC magically transforms into the 'Golden' release with no changes.  I have no idea how often this ideal situation occurs in reality, but that's the way it's supposed to work (in theory).

This certainly is no longer the case for actual Windows releases (RCs are really Betas with another name - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc194403.aspx).  The term Microsoft uses for what used to be true Release Candidates in full OS releases is "Escrow Build".

But it should be made easy to take a build number and determine what that build number corresponds to.  None of the first page hits on Google for "service pack 3 v.3311" are on Microsoft sites and a similar search in the search box on microsoft.com results in only forum postings - nothing official.  So it's difficult to know just by looking at the version info that what's installed is a release candidate (that may or may not become the release at some point).

kip:
mwb1100 - here you go, sp3 download on the microsoft site, googled win xp sp3 and the first link took me here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

Brief Description
Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version